Totally The Weather

I stirred from my deep sleep slightly, scrunching up my closed eyes as I nestled further into the deep sleep I once in.

But with the slight brightness coating my eyelids, I felt myself stir unconsciously, forcing my eyes to flutter open slightly. 

I blinked a few times, adjusting to the bright room as I looked around—not even moments later I realized I was nestled into Chicago's side as she played the game Tetris on her phone. 

Suddenly, last night flashed in my head—leaving my room, waking Chicago up, and her offering for me to sleep in here with her. 

Without even thinking it through properly, I mumbled, "I'm sorry." 

My voice was barely audible and slightly raspy due to just waking up, but apparently, Chicago had heard me—almost immediately looking down from her phone. 

A chuckle vibrated in her chest, "I didn't think that would be the first thing you say—maybe a good morning, or how did you sleep?" she joked. 

I felt my face heat up, stretching slightly as I snuggled into her side, hiding my flushed face. 

"I just didn't mean to wake you last night," I whispered, feeling oddly shy for no reason. 

Cuddling all night with someone felt intimate to me for some reason. 

Chicago only shook her head, "Sloan, it's really not a big deal—I wasn't even awake for long," she assured me as she locked her phone, clearly diverting her full attention to me. I always admired people who did that. "How'd you sleep?" she asked, and I could easily feel her dark eyes peering down at me. 

I hummed, "Good, but..." I trailed off, easily earning a small laugh from Chicago. 

"But what?" she asked, causing me to finally look up at her, meeting her dark eyes that were suddenly making me feel nervous. 

I looked between her eyes, "But... I want to go back to sleep." 

Chicago lazily smiled down at me, clearly amused, "Let's go back to sleep then," she said. 

I felt my heart pound in my chest, realizing she had referred to us as an us.

We were going back to sleep. 

What did that mean? I'm clearly reading into all this too much. 

I tilted my head slightly, pushing the thoughts away as I said, "But I don't want to go back to sleep if you aren't tired." 

Chicago only hummed, "I'm crazy jet lagged so I'm always tired," she said, easily earning a hesitant nod from me. 

"You promise?" I asked, with a raised brow—not wanting to make her stay here with me if she didn't want to. 

Chicago held up her pinky, easily making me hold up mine as well, "I promise," she said, linking her pinky with mine, and even if it was a small action, I weirdly found myself smiling at it. 

I've never actually pinky-promised something before. 

I let out a soft sigh, gathering the warm covers further up over my shoulders as Chicago ran her hand up and down the side of my arm, soothing me completely. 

The next time Chicago and I awoke from our sleep it was around three in the afternoon—and there seemingly was a tray of food placed by the bed. 

Chicago laughed as she read the card left with the food, causing me to curiously look over her shoulder, reading the perfect cursive handwriting. 

For you and the 'girl who is a friend'. Yet she slept in your bed... Anyways, enjoy lunch. 
—Mom