11.

Race Day

I make a quick entrance into the garage this morning without Max since he needed to jump into his ice bath before the race, he normally lines his up with Carlos' and although that's a sight I would love to see, I am not sure my brother would enjoy an audience. Joe and Rachel were nowhere to be seen, so I took the opportunity to catch up on some emails before the action kicked of. One particular email stood out from the rest, with the subject 'Job Proposal', it was from McLaren, I didn't think they knew me, but I guess they've seen me around the paddock. It was a job offer with a very competitive salary, which made RedBull's pay look petty and also allowed me to continue to support Max even if I was to be wearing papaya with the team. I didn't want to rush into any decisions so I replied to them saying I would consider and get back to them, that allowed me some time to just sit on it and think it through.

Around an hour later, the race got on the way. Max had avoided a near collision with Carlos and continued to lead the race, they were fighting for first place and lap after lap, the chase got closer and closer. With DRS enabled, Max was able to make a larger gap between himself and Sainz, and it was all going well till Carlos spun. He couldn't stop his car, it flew into the gravel and slammed against the barrier. My jaw dropped, my heart stopped and I couldn't see through the tears that were welling in my eyes.

My heart began to beat again when I saw the cameras pan over to Carlos climbing up and out of his car, he walked away unscathed somehow, but I was relieved to see him okay. A few laps later, and Max had secured yet another win for the team and collected his trophy up on the top podium. I didn't see Carlos in the press area or even near the Ferrari garage, he must have gone to medical to get checked over - why was I so concerned for him? I hope I haven't caught feelings, again.

Max and I headed back to our hotel once again, but this time I knew he was going to want to go out and celebrate that win. "Hey you should join me tonight! I'm meeting some friends, you remember Frenkie right? We're all having dinner at his place, you should come it would be nice"

"Lia I am exhausted today, can we do it another day?" Max did seem flat since we hopped in the car, I opted to drive us back since I used to live in this city so I know it well enough to drive around.

"No M, we always do your boring things, let's go have fun with people our age and not just Christian Horner and his buddies, trust me, it will be fun" We got showered and ready, Max opted for the classic cotton shirt, I am still convinced that all the drivers just pass this white cotton shirt around the paddock to wear each time one of them wants to go out or something. I chose a navy silk dress, it's the most comfortable thing to be in right now. I headed down to reception to book a car where I got tapped on the shoulder by Joe once again.

"Looking beautiful as ever Nat, where you off to?" Joe scanned me from head to toe like some sort of X-ray

"Thanks Joe, I'm just off with Max to catch up with some friends, I'll see you on the plane tomorrow right?" Joe didn't look too bad either, I imagine him and the boys from the team will be off for a wild night out to celebrate the team's win, typical boys really.

"Well whoever he is, he is a lucky host to have you, but yes, all being well I will make it to the flight in the morning, wheels up at 10" We laugh whilst he slowly moves off and out the building with the rest of his party crew, and Max joins me as we leave for Frenkie's house.

I knew footballer money was good, but seeing the size of Frenkie's driveway has me in shock, we hadn't even entered the home yet still mesmerised by all the cars and the private plates. Max and I have know the De Jong family from a very young age, we practically grew up together, Max was always closer to Frenk, whilst Youri and I were particularly close but since I was older we didn't see much of each other.

"Lia! Max! You both made it, I am so happy to see you both, come on in" Smiles all round and we entered his home, it was magnificent inside too, so grand but humble, just like Frenkie. "Some of the boys are joining us tonight Lia, I hope you don't mind" Frenkie directs us towards the kitchen where a few of his friends are sat waiting to be introduced. "So there's Gavi, Balde, Ferran and you remember Pedri don't you Lia?" I could feel Max's eyes dart over to me, but I busied myself by greeting all the guys individually. We sat and had dinner and spoke highly of both football and formula one, explaining the respective sports to one another and just bonding over the stresses that come with both. I helped with the tidying up once the guys moved on over to Fifa, that was Max's sign to 'show them how its done' as he usually says.

Pedri came over to me, and we finally had the chance to catch up. Now I had bumped into Pedri before like Frenkie so kindly mentioned, we met when I left Lando in Ibiza. I was very upset but knew I would be flying through Barcelona for their el clasico game, so I came in earlier than I had planned. I flicked through my dating apps to find this beautifully funny guy named Pedro, now he ticked a lot of boxes and in all honesty I just needed a rebound so I replied to his message and we met up for a night of fun. I'm not sure what he told the boys in the locker room, but if it's what Frenkie was insinuating then they have it all wrong. In fact, Pedri and I didn't even come close to getting in bed, we just chatted for hours on end, venting to one another about our strange lives and it was such a relief that by the end of it we left each other knowing everything there was, yet with nobody to tell.

"Sooooo, it's been a minute hasn't it?" Pedri's brown eyes lifted up as he spoke, as if he was shy to even approach this conversation.

"It really has, I'm sure we're overdue another one of those catchups aren't we?"

"Name a time and a place and I'll be there" He didn't hesitate

"Let me have another existential crisis then I'll give you call"

"You should come over to mine, bring your brother too, you and him are always welcome, plus Gav would love playing Fifa with someone as good as Max. I'm just not cutout for video games like they are"

"We would love that, and I will definitely be taking you up on the offer, but we have to go home tomorrow, got Canada next week so we need to prep for that" I smile as I start collecting my jacket and as I pick up my phone I see more than 30 messages that Carlos has sent me in the last hour. I unlock my phone to see him needing my help but I am not entirely sure with what exactly. I replied telling him 'I'll be back soon, just hang on for me' I am not sure what I am even asking him to hang onto but that will give me a enough time to read and process all the messages he's been sending.

note

Ok this story is starting to get a bit more attention now which is good, I really hope you guys are enjoying this. it's coming alone nicely but I am still undecided as for where I am leading it onto, so any ideas feel free to send them my way :)