Chapter 23

The next morning at school, Sasuke and Sakura walked into school holding hands, and that raised a lot of gossip and shit. When Naruto saw it, he totally lost it. He pulled Sasuke aside in the boys' bathroom during homeroom.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Naruto asked.

"I am dating Sakura now," Sasuke replied.

"I know you don't like her, so what's actually up? Naruto said flatly.

"Look, I am not allowed to talk to you anymore. She has me wrapped around her finger, but I can tell you it is all for you. I am doing this for you. It won't be like this for long, I swear. I will fix this all as soon as possible," Sasuke said quickly.

"Well, stop being such a douche and tell me why."

Sasuke walked out of the bathroom and left Naruto standing there. Naruto was confused about what Sasuke just said, but he decided to go with it because he had confidence that Sasuke could fix everything with the press.

~

After school, Sasuke exited the school with Sakura, and the two were immediately rushed onto the street by the press.

"Are you two dating?"

"What is her name?"

Sasuke, can we get a statement about your relationship?

"Sakura Haruno and I are dating," Sasuke said in a monotone voice.

Sakura smiled and rested her head on Sasuke's shoulder as they pushed their way through the crowd of journalists and made their way down the street hand in hand.

Sakura smiled to herself; she had done it. She had betrayed one of her best friends in the process, but it was all worth it to be able to date a celebrity—one that every girl wanted to date. She had done it. You have to step on some toes to get what you want, right?

~

Naruto started working later and later hours to bring in some extra cash for necessities and because he needed to do something to take his mind off of Sasuke and Sakura, who came into the cafe every day. Now all of the press attention was off of him. This is what he wanted, right?

Naruto thought about Sasuke all the time, reminiscing about the time that they had together. One day during work, he just broke. He fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face. Shikamaru walked into the cafe and saw him.

"Hey, it's okay; let me go talk to your boss and let's get you home," he said.

Shikamaru found Naruto's boss and got him some time off for a while before he took Naruto home. Shikamaru sat in an armchair in Naruto's living room while Naruto lay on his couch, feeling empty.

"You want to order food? Shikmaru asked.

"I don't have any money."

"It's on me now; what do you want? Shikamaru said.

"Thanks," Naruto replied.

The two spent their time together for the rest of the evening, trying to take his mind off of the betrayal from Sakura and the genuine thought of Sasuke.

"Thanks, Shikamaru; I owe you one," Naruto said, while Shikamaru got ready to leave.

"No problem; call me if this happens again," Shikamaru said.

The two said their goodbyes, and Shikamaru headed home. Naruto went to the bathroom and turned on the shower. He took a hot shower before drying off and changing into sweatpants and a t-shirt. It was a little early, but he climbed into bed, pulled the covers up to his chin, and rested his eyes shut until he drifted off to sleep.