Defend

"Kenji, you don't know how glad I am that you're okay!" I said frantically.

"You guys? Where are you?" Sammy asked, brushing her hair out her face as she smiled.

"Hello, humans, it is I, your leader," Kenji said, ignoring Sammy.

Sammy looked at me with a frown, her eyebrow raised high, and I shrugged my shoulders. Would he tell us where he was? And we still didn't know if he got away from Hap or if he was with Yas and Brooklynn–

"We found a backup generator and turned the power back on!" Brooklynn burst in. It was such a relief to hear her voice! I let out a long sigh, smiling at the speaker.

"Where are you guys?" said Darius.

"Did Hap do anything to you guys?" I said.

The speaker buzzed again, slightly louder. "We can't hear you. What are you trying to say? What happened to Tiff and Mitch?" Brooklynn asked on the intercom.

Is something wrong with the microphones? I knelt and looked around the base of the tree the speaker was on, searching for a microphone. I found one, but it looked fine.

"They know where the watering hole is," said Darius in dismay. He looked to the floor, crossing his arms.

"I still can't hear you! What are you saying?" Brooklynn said.

"I said Mitch and Tiff will kill all the dinosaurs at the watering hole!" Darius yelled exasperatedly, throwing out his hands. "They're on their way now! And I... I know what I have to do."

The way he said that felt off. I faced Darius sharply and frowned at him. His eyes were downcast, and he was covering his head.

"What do you mean?" I asked softly.

"I have to go stop them. You guys have to find the others and get out of here," he replied, looking away.

I placed my hands on his shoulders, forcing him to face Sammy and me. "Darius, no! You can't go alone–they'll kill you! You just can't!" I exclaimed, "We need to do this together."

Darius shrugged my arms off his shoulder, backing away. He lowered his head, avoiding eye contact. "I have to. This is all my fault...."

"What do you mean? It isn't your fault! How could any of this be your fault?" I asked.

"What are you talking about, Darius?" Sammy asked, frowning at Darius with knitted brows. The wind picked up, the air colder as the trees ruffled harder.

Darius sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "Look. Mitch and Tiff only know about the watering hole because I showed them... I'm the one who didn't listen to Brooklynn when she warned us. The dinosaurs are in danger because of me! I promised you all that I'd get you home, and I... I already lost Ben. I almost lost you, too!" he looked up at me sorrowfully, and I felt a tug at my heart.

"I'm not losing you guys too."

This was so unfair to Darius. Neither was his fault! I didn't even realise he was still caught up on that; I thought our talk had put everything behind us!

Darius has done everything he could to keep us safe, and even now, he's so prepared to put himself in danger so long as we can escape. No! I've had enough of Darius saving us, saving me! Now, we are protecting him. We are all getting out of here!

"Stop! Just stop, Darius," I exclaimed. "Listen to me. None of this is your fault! This happened because Mitch and Tiff lied to us. That's why all of us will get out of here together! We are going to stop them toge–"

"–Mitch said that their boat is at the northwest dock," Darius interjected, placing his hand on my shoulder. "Get everyone together and get off the island now while Mitch and Tiff are busy."