The Hunt

I regretted everything I did to Tiff, but not because it wasn't deserved; I regretted it because now that she was in charge and she wouldn't feel any guilt for harming us, I was scared. My heart was racing, and my head felt light.

They were forcing Darius to lead us to the watering hole, and now there was no other option but to listen. We strolled through the jungle in silence, barely glancing at one another.

Mitch and Tiff had their rifle out, and while Tiff looked frustrated, Mitch aimed at every rustle or odd creak. Eying him, I wondered if maybe Mitch was also scared of his girlfriend or was just afraid to cross her.

"Look, babe, all I'm saying is maybe you could've handled that better...." Mitch said.

Tiff scoffed. 'Excuse me?–"

"–Now wait. Wait. Don't get mad!"

"Don't get mad?... Right. I'm not allowed to have my own plan, huh? You tried acting all nice with these brats and see where that got us? They all turned, and one ran off. You were too lenient with hap, and where did that get us? He ran off with two kids and probably got them all eaten. That damned idiot...."

I breathed in hard and glanced at Tiff. I'd only just begun believing that Kenji and Brooklynn might be okay, but even Tiff thought they were... No. Hap, wherever he took them, must at least have them away from the dinos. Even if he had other plans...

Sammy softly nudged my arm, and I looked at her.

"Okay, step one is to take their guns away. What do we do after that?" She said.

"We run," Darius muttered.

I had my worries there. "Then what are we meant to do if Rexy shows up?" I asked.

"Run faster!"

We fell silent again, and Tiff's voice got louder as she became more annoyed with Mitch.

"So it's my fault the girl got away? Because it was my idea to bring these kids along? Just like it was my idea to celebrate our last anniversary with our families!? You know your mother hates me–"

"HEY!" Mitch yelled, the three of us pausing. "How much farther to the watering hole? And what are you three whispering about?"

"I was just saying it's right through here!" Darius replied, hesitating.

Mitch and Tiff gasped in delight, and we walked further onwards, but now I was starting to recognise where we were. As we stepped through the ferns, I couldn't help but smile. We were on Main Street! If we could get a few seconds, we could hide from Mitch and Tiff! And then figure out the rest while running.

"This isn't the watering hole. Does this look like the watering hole, babe?" Mitch said slowly.

'Sure doesn't, babe," Tiff replied.

They stepped closer, and we backed until we were by the souvenir store. But, the situation had only gotten worse. Not only was Tiff enraged, but Mitch was too!

"Do you think this is some kind of joke!?" Tiff said, she and her boyfriend advancing with their taser staffs aimed at our chests.

"N-No! It's just right through this–"

"–Don't lie to me, Darius," Mitch said threateningly. He and Tiff switched on their tasers.

We had backed up so far we were pressed against a display shelf, the only open spaces to our sides. Tiff hissed we were liars, but Darius' short plan was in motion.

"NOW!" he yelled.

We ran to the back of the shelf and shoved it so it crashed by Mitch and Tiff, forcing them to move away. We charged, and Sammy grabbed the large pack they used for their guns. We didn't bother speaking to one another as we ran further into Main Street.