𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 38

Closing her eyes did make Lilith feel better. She supposed the strain on them would have eased further without the glare from the Wyndow, but that came from behind her, and she could bear it. While the ice had numbed her arm, its cooling properties weren't confined to the site of her injury. Her cape coat, which opened in front by design, did little to stop her from shivering, but Lilith didn't fault Mae for picking something uncomplicated to slip on—sleeves were a definite nightmare for the foreseeable future. She would just have to acquire something more substantial yet still convenient in order to survive the dawning winter.

Presently, however, there was no solution to her predicament. Between the cold and the threat of physical torture, Lilith found herself surprisingly inclined toward the former. She guessed she never had much tolerance for either, but today seemed all about the lesser of two evils.

In this context, she was actually eager for Snow's return. His scrutiny was as unnerving as ever—perhaps even more so with her renewed guilt—but if it meant she could go home, she would endure it. A few minutes was a small sacrifice when she imagined her bed and her quilt and the company she would soon have.

So, when Lilith heard the mechanism of the door, her eyes flew open. Immediately, Snow's gaze flashed to her like he'd seen the deed. Despite the impassive expression with which he studied her, Lilith had the inkling that he disapproved of her less-than-restful behavior. It was lucky that she didn't dare move too hastily, or she would have already sprung to her feet.

Perhaps it was the concussion, but the illumination from the customizable screen seemed to act like Snow's personal spotlight as he crossed the room. He removed the melted bundle, and there was a dull plop of it being discarded before he re-entered her line of sight.

"How are you feeling?" asked Snow, helping her to sit.

"Better," admitted Lilith. "Thank you, sir."

"Good. I'm taking you home."

Snow extended his hand in an expectant manner. Upon a moment's hesitation, Lilith grabbed it, appreciating the assistance as she rose.

"That's not necessary, sir. My car's just downstairs."

"That's not the point."

Letting go, Snow moved his arm around her and shepherded her outside. Lilith became confused. Were her ears playing tricks on her too?

"I beg your pardon, sir?"

Instead of addressing her query, Snow paused at her desk to retrieve her purse, which had been repacked, and which looked positively absurd in his grasp. It wasn't just for this that Lilith reached for it, though: She had never fancied the idea of others carrying things on her behalf. She could close one eye on shopping, but day-to-day, she found herself perfectly capable of the task and saw no reason for it to fall upon someone else. Even now, with one arm out of commission, Lilith faced no difficulty with the small crossbody she could simply sling over her good shoulder—as she had done on her way here.

"Don't worry about it," said Snow, jerking the bag away from her. "Focus on walking."

Lilith was stung. Did he think she couldn't do both?

Judging from how he hovered—any closer and they would be touching—it seemed just so.

Heads turned as they passed the bullpen, and Lilith felt the rekindling of her self-consciousness burn in her cheeks. Coming in, she had mainly been apprehensive of her splint, so voluminous it defied concealment. Now, she was hyper aware that the looks she attracted were partly—if not totally—accusatory.

Until Wren broke her the news, Lilith hadn't realized she hadn't given the Preview much thought in the past two days. In what few waking hours she had had, she had concerned herself with the fate of the Games, the fate of Bud, the fate of her friendship with Athena, but not once did she consider the fate of her own project. Her subconscious must have been assured of its continuity; after all, everything had been set. Snow had been ready to step up for her at the base, so, aside from the pang of shame that he had to, she had no problem picturing him in her place.