𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 36

Athena stared at Lilith for a long beat, seeming at war with herself.

Finally, she said, "That's no excuse."

Lilith could melt—she was so proud and elated.

"Tell me everything," she breathed. "Are you and Jason together now?"

"Hardly. I've broken up with him, if anything."

"You haven't!"

"I don't like the person I was when I was with him, Lil. So bitter and vindictive." Lilith wasn't sure that had anything to do with Jason, though she refrained from mentioning as much. "And then every time I think of him, I hear all the things he's said about you, all the lies, and I don't understand how I could've liked him in the first place—how I still like him."

"Love isn't rational," said Lilith consolingly. "And he just wants to be on your side."

"I think that's the problem," admitted Athena. "He wants to please me so badly he'd say anything, do anything. There are no lines. I don't know if that's what I want. But I do know that I don't want him—or any boy for that matter—to stand between me and my friends anymore." She held up her pinkie. "Promise me, Lil. Promise me we'll never let any boy come between us ever again."

Lilith raised hers unhesitatingly and hooked it with Athena's.

"I promise."

Just then, there was a soft swoosh, followed by another. Apart from the beeping of Lilith's life monitors, the room had fallen completely silent. The newcomer gazed suspiciously from one girl to the other, then her hazel eyes stopped dead on the interlocked fingers, and her face went smooth—impassive.

"What are we promising?" asked Olympia offhandedly.

A nervous chuckle slipped from Athena.

"Not to kill anyone?"

Vows in place that no murders would be committed—and that no member of the opposite gender would ever divide their trio again—the three of them settled back into comfortable, comforting routine. They were only talking, and the bleak hospital walls weren't the prettiest of scenes, but the world could have imploded and Lilith would still have been totally at peace, totally content in the company of her best friends. She didn't think it was possible to be happier, but it got better.

The nurse on duty today, Elissa, appeared to check her vitals not ten minutes after Olympia's arrival. They were looking good, and if Lilith kept it up for another two hours, Dr. Addams would sign off on her discharge. It was amazing news, not least because plans were immediately made for Olympia and Athena to stay over for the rest of the week. They would still have to get in several hours at their labs, but at night, they could huddle together with any manner of Cook's best treats to a picture or two. Nothing too elaborate, given that one of them was handicapped and the other two still needed their wits about them during the day. But it didn't matter what they would do—Lilith was just eager to make up for lost time.

Lunch was served shortly. Having intended to join Lilith for the meal, Olympia had brought her own food. Athena hadn't been as bold. Although Lilith's appetite had heightened with her mood, she was glad to share—glad to be able to—especially with Athena. So they split her lasagna and the takeaway fried chicken and biscuits, saving the cupcakes for last.

"What are we going to do about Saturday?"

Lilith froze mid-chew. She had all but forgotten about the gala, which stirred up the weirdest impression that Snow had been somehow interested in her gown. She was certain, however, that it was just the drugs mixing him up with his cousin—it was Tigris who was the fashion enthusiast.