𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 8

Val—Valerius, Lilith's little brother—came barreling through the entrance, closely followed by his cocker spaniel, Lady. There were obvious merits to large houses and their large rooms. By the looks of it, Val had been hurtling straight for Lilith, his outstretched arms destined to be thrown around her thighs in one of his signature mini bear hugs. Mini only because of his size; he was disproportionately strong for someone so tiny. In the span it took for his adorable boy legs to carry him across her dresser, though, there was time for reactions:

Mae, who had been doing last minute adjustments to Athena's braids, swerved them both out of the way. Olympia hitched up her skirt, which might otherwise have been trampled, and Lilith leapt nimbly backwards just as Val's Avox managed to seize hold of him. Another restrained his barking fur ball of a companion by her leash and hoisted the pet into her arms, rocking her like a baby to calm her down.

Their gowns had been saved.

"Oh, thank goodness," huffed a female voice from the doorway.

Val's mother had appeared, panting slightly. Criseida was a young mom with all the hallmarks of someone in her early thirties: radiant skin, wrinkle-free eyes, a healthily slim figure that betrayed no traces of her pregnancy. She just didn't possess the stamina that seemed to course through Lilith's and her son's veins.

From the intruding party's outfits, it was clear they'd just come from Lady's evening walk: the Avoxes in quilted vests and laced up boots, as if prepared to go hunting; Val with his long sleeved button down and bow tie, knee-high socks and shorts held up by suspenders, like any reputable family's little boy; Criseida subtly colour-coordinated with her son. She could have been headed to the office, or that interview with Snow. None of it—not her satin blouse or peg leg trousers or suede oxfords, flat but brand-new—could have been sensible for a stroll in the park, let alone chasing after a five-year-old and his excitable dog, but it was a necessary evil.

This was the image befitting Mrs. Gold.

"Valerius Aurelianus Gold," said Criseida, marching into the room.

Being addressed by your full name was never a good sign, but perhaps because it wasn't hers that Lilith appreciated the comicality of the moment. She had never known Criseida to be stern, and the whole fists on her hips thing didn't help. Val cowered, but only a little as he stared up at his mother with round, contrite eyes. Criseida widened her own back in an effort to maintain her authority.

"What did we say about Lili's and the girls' dresses tonight?"

"I'm not supposed to touch them," replied Val quietly.

"And what did you just do?"

"Not touch them?"

He grinned, revealing an incomplete set of teeth and the dimples he inherited from their father. The same dimples Lilith had inherited. It was about the only physical attribute they shared—that, and the running.

Laughter rang around the room. Smiles found their way to even the Avoxes' faces, and almost to Criseida's. Her facade was definitely wavering, and she straightened up, if only to make herself taller.

"Don't you get cheeky with me, young man," she warned. "You know what you were up to and so do I. Don't expect to see ice cream for dessert tonight."

Food threats were the only kind that got to her brother.

"But I only wanted to hug Lili goodbye!" he whined, pouting.

"And that is very sweet of you, but it would have ruined her outfit." Criseida's tone hadn't been harsh, though. Lowering herself, she peeled him from his Avox and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Once she had established eye contact, she inclined her head, guiding his gaze up to Lilith. "You see how pretty your sister is? You want her to look pretty at the party, don't you?"