𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 24

Deciding that Snow's face could offer little more information than his words, Lilith focused on recording the latter.

Appreciating her for volunteering, he nevertheless recommended her to talk the idea of alternate Wednesdays over with Professor Kay and asserted that he would not compel it regardless. While her main job entailed following him around, she was not obligated to stay beyond the official hours, which—as she had already known—were nine to six. With another Cyber lecture occupying a two-hour chunk after lunch on Thursdays, Lilith calculated her contributions to amount to five hours weekly; Snow's expectation had been six to eight.

"You'll learn better by doing as opposed to just watching or listening to me. With longer spells, we tend to get more chances," he explained. "But it's no matter. We'll work with what we have until the situation can be improved. Do note that we're not a school here, and life carries on despite term breaks. You are therefore highly encouraged to join us during this time.

"All in all, that should account for approximately thirty to fifty percent of your required hours, not that we have to be terribly precise on that front. The numbers the University has provided is merely a guideline to me. As long as you show that you're serious and produce the work I've assigned you accordingly, I won't nitpick on a couple of minutes.

"That said, this is a professional environment, and you've made a commitment. You will not go AWOL. Should anything crop up and you have to be late, leave early, or even absent yourself, please drop a message to Gaia—she will relay it to me. Am I clear?"

"As heaven's stars."

Then, realizing what she'd uttered, Lilith froze. It had been a phrase that used to hang on her mother's lips. As a child, Lilith had imitated it for amusement. Growing up, fancying its uniqueness and significance, she favoured it. Now, it was a matter of habit, so the response had slipped off her tongue instinctually. In a less formal setting, with friends or people her own age, the effect might not have been as pronounced. Presently, none of these criteria were met, and she was all too aware of how odd she'd sounded.

Peeking up from her notebook, she found Snow surveying her with cold puzzlement and quickly added, "Very clear, sir."

"Good." But his nod was curt, and the wariness did not leave his eyes as he continued, "Now, onto that project of yours. As I've shared yesterday, your proposal is one of those I'm endeavoring to implement during the next Games. Since it originated from you, it's only natural that you be put in charge."

When Snow paused, Lilith recognized it as her turn to speak.

"Will we get to bring in both stylists and mentors, then?"

"That is the intention," answered Snow. "But, ultimately, it depends on you. As project manager, you will be overseeing the entire process from start to finish. You will be the one responsible for developing and driving it. You will be key to its fruition."

The weight and magnitude of the task dawned on Lilith at once and she couldn't help feeling daunted. Apparently reading her alarm, Snow chuckled and displayed a smile she was so accustomed to associating with him—a warm, charming thing that seemed to be such a rarity in their private encounters. Not that it really comforted her.

"You don't have to look like that. You will have help," he reassured. "We have our own experts who can assist you on various fronts, but you'll have to coordinate the efforts and be involved in the conversation—even lead it. And of course, I will be overseeing you, making sure you stay on the right track. So there's nothing to worry about. Well, not yet anyway."

Now—this piece of honesty—that relieved Lilith, and she nodded. "All right. Thank you."

"Do you have any questions?"