Heart of Gold

〝Silence is gold, my sweet hummingbird.〞

***

"After two decades in the role, and in the wake of yet another sensational Hunger Games, Professor Volumnia Gaul, recently appointed provost at Capitol University, has announced her retirement as Head Gamemaker. Personally named, her successor is none other than glowing right-hand man and long-time protégé, rising star: Major General Coriolanus Snow. Capitol News will be back live with the provost and the major after the break."

***

The blood has barely dried, the arena barely locked. It's only been a few days since the Twentieth Hunger Games declared its victor but preparations for the twenty-first are already underway. Not only is Coriolanus Snow is in charge⎯officially in charge⎯he is all anyone in the Capitol can talk about. Heir to a giant munitions empire, one of Panem's brightest, up and coming talents, slated to become the youngest Lieutenant General in the history of the national military, he is the most eligible bachelor in town. Everyone wants a piece of him, and it's not just the ladies. Coriolanus basks in every minute of it. He is having the time of his life.

Until one night, he seems to have seen a ghost. A ghost of his past⎯the ghost of his past. With her dark hair wound atop her head, a wreath of flowers decorating the braids, an orange scarf knotted artfully around her neck, and her rainbow of a dress... It can't be, Coriolanus tells himself as he watches her waltz through his dining room full of guests. It has been ten years since he'd seen her, ten years since that fateful day by the lake and in the forest, ten years since she'd sung and he'd fired his gun, and it simply cannot be...

Snow lands on top...doesn't it?

***

Lilith Gold is a senior at the University, where a highly-coveted Gamemaker apprenticeship is up for grabs. It is her best friend's dream; her best friend who is the strongest contender, who is unequivocally and unreservedly deserving of it. When the award does not go as the entire world expects, Lilith is forced into uncharted terrority where her values come into conflict. As she struggles to balance friendship and duty, to navigate this alien terrain, she must remember to tread carefully, lest she falls...in love.

***

〝Silence is gold, my sweet Coriolanus.〞