Chapter 3

3.1

After three hours of reading through several novels, the two teenagers were cut off from when Kiyotaka noticed that it was nearing six o'clock in the evening, which was enough to tell him that he had spent more than enough time here and now it was time to go home.

Kiyotaka turned to his companion, who was still engrossed in the book she had in her hands. She had finished about three books by now and was currently reading through the last of Sayers' series about Lord Peter.

"I apologize for this, Shiina. But the sun is about to go down soon. I don't really want to stay here until nightfall," he spoke as he began to organize the books that he had went through so far.

Hiyori didn't seem like she minded that. However, it did make her realize one thing.

"Oh my goodness! Has time passed that quickly? I didn't notice at all..." she said in complete alarm while checking the time on her phone.

Like the young man beside her, Hiyori also began to arrange the books she had read into a proper pile so they could be returned to their respective shelves easily.

"I didn't notice, either. We were both too focused on reading to realize that three hours have already passed."

Hiyori chuckled to herself. "I suppose this is the end of our little reading session, hehe..."

"I suppose it is," Kiyotaka shrugged as he returned the books to their shelves one by one. "I'm surprised that I got through four of Sayers' novels already."

"That's how powerful books can be. While you're engrossed in reading one or several, you have no idea that you've spent so much time reading a lot of content already," she explained while doing the same as him.

"I know. I guess I was too interested in Lord Peter's story that I couldn't stop," he remarked. "Thank you for the recommendation, Shiina."

"It was no problem. I'm glad you enjoyed 'Whose Body?' until 'The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club'. All four of those novels were very critical to Sayers' success as a writer."

"You really are a bibliophile, aren't you?" he asked, deciding to tease this girl while they were still here.

"I won't deny it. But you don't mind it at all, do you, Ayanokouji-kun?" Hiyori teased back with a smile, quickly realizing his intention through his words.

"No. It's refreshing to be around someone who is passionate about books and works of fiction. However, I have a feeling that if I talk to you about a certain topic or book, you'll continue to talk about it until you get interrupted or stopped completely."

"I won't say you're wrong, Ayanokouji-kun. I admit that I do have a tendency to get carried away..."

"I didn't say that was a bad thing, though. It only proves you're passionate about your interests and that's a nice thing to have."

Hiyori giggled. "You're quite the flatterer, Ayanokouji-kun."

"...I wasn't trying to flatter you."

After returning the books to their respective shelves, both students grabbed their bags and prepared to leave, when Hiyori asked a question that would take the young man completely by surprise.

"Would you like to walk with me to the dorms, Ayanokouji-kun?"

Kiyotaka stared at the girl, wondering where this came from. It sounded so out of nowhere that it wouldn't be a stretch to say that his imagination simply conjured it. And did he even hear her right?

"...why?"

"Well, even though our time in the library has come to an end, I don't want to say goodbye just yet. I honestly like talking to you, Ayanokouji-kun."