Chapter 9

The girl had been at it for a few minutes, feeling that the cow's udder was finally empty, or at least empty enough to let her calf drink. When she was finished, she waited for Bubba to come get the milk. However, she wasn't even hearing the man. Maybe he had entered the house again?

She tried shouting for him, which seemed to not have a great effect. More minutes passed and her leg was starting to hurt because of the position. She groaned and took a breath in, thinking on how to get the milk to the house without injuring her leg more.

She got up from the stool using the cane that Ma gave her, then, she let go of it, hoping to get a better grip on the bucket. She crouched down and grabbed the handle, feeling that it would be more difficult than she had thought. But, with extreme difficulty, she managed to drag it to the entrance of the barn.

The girl looked behind her, wondering if the man entered by the back door, but still he was nowhere to be seen. However, when she turned back around, Bubba was right in front of her. She took quite a scare, and she would've dropped the bucket if the man hadn't grabbed it fast enough.

With how close he was and the bucket fumbling from her hands to Bubba's, she lost her balance, falling butt first on the muddy ground. She saw white when she felt her leg being forced, hitting the ground with quite a blow. (Y/n) gasped, not able to let out a sound with how much pain she was feeling.

The giant of a man didn't know what to do, he was too stunned to even help her when she started falling. But when she gasped, he instantly dropped the bucket, luckily it landed straight on the ground, only having some of the milk spill out. Bubba crouched in front of her, his hands hovering over her legs and body like he didn't know where to touch.

She finally got able to move, the pain diminishing just a little bit for her to place both her hands on top of her leg, holding the limb always made people think that it would stop hurting faster. Call it instinct. It only made it worse, her leg was still sore and sensitive, so it gave her a sharp pain on top of the skin. Now she was able to finally cry and whine all she wanted. Her hands left her leg to find her face, wiping the raging tears that were falling from her eyes. Through her watery eyes, she could see the milk on the ground and the man watching over her.

"T-the milk..." she managed to say, some hiccups coming out of her mouth "I'm s-sorry." and the waterworks came back with full force.

Bubba did the only thing he could think of, he slowly placed his hand on top of her head, rubbing it tenderly, just like she and his mother did to him. He felt her tense for a bit, but soon her body relaxed, her tears seemed to begin to stop little by little. At some point, she even began to smile, showing her sad face from crying but with a toothy grin pointed at the man.

"I'm okay now, Bubba." she said, patting her dress and positioning her hands on the ground to help her get up.

The man shook his head, his hands moving to her shoulders, preventing her from moving. He took them off her shoulders and motioned her to stay in place. She was about to argue, but decided to let him do his thing. Bubba moved to the bucket, hurriedly grabbing it and awkwardly running back to the house. The girl just hoped that he wouldn't leave her alone.

She thanked God when she saw him run back to her, panting and clearly tired. He was a big man after all, all this exercise must be really tiring on him. When he finally got to her, he moved behind her body. She thought that he would help her up, but she felt the ground shake when he sat down right at her back.

"Bubba, don't! You'll get all muddy." she said, and there went the idea of entering the house again, if they did, Ma would be pissed for sure.

The man placed both his legs around her body, his chest almost touching her back, she could feel the heat coming from him. She blushed and her body tensed. What was he trying to do?

When she felt his hairy arms wrap around her, she started feeling dizzy. Now, he was completely stuck to her, his chest right on her back and his arms wrapped around her waist. She tried breathing calmly, but the sniff he gave to the top of her head took her by surprise. She understood that he might be thinking that she was hurting, maybe saying that she was fine, not really telling the truth.

"O-oh, Bubba." she said, placing her hands on top of his arms on her waist "I can assure you, I'm fine." she looked up, regretting right away, as her face got quite close to his "W-we... We should..."

Bubba groaned, shaking his head from side to side, holding her a little bit tighter. Well, it seemed that she would be stuck with him until someone arrived.

<->

When she finally heard the family's car arrive, she almost jumped, but the man kept holding her down. She didn't know where to put her face. How would Ma and Drayton react? She placed her hands on top of her eyes, not wanting to see their expressions.

"What in the world happened?" Ma said, her hands on his hips while looking at the two kids on the ground.

The woman felt that Drayton would make a snarky remark, so she shut him up quickly.

"Go start supper." she simply said, still looking at the two.

"M-Ma... I can explain." (Y/n) mumbled, afraid that the woman would think that she was taking advantage of him.

"Well, start yapping, 'cause I ain't you two inside the house in that state." she crossed her arms.

"I helped Bubba with the milk, but when I was taking it outside, I fell." she rubbed her hands on one another "I-I think he was too worried about me to let me get up."

"Oh, dear." the woman sighed, but smiled "You shouldn't have lifted in on your own. Well, at least you're okay, it seems. Bubba!" Ma said a little louder, the man turned to her, his expression showed that he was a little afraid "Help her up. I'll get the hose to clean you both."

"Ho-hose?" the girl asked, not even noticing the man almost throwing her up in the air.

"You'll dirty the whole house before getting to the bathroom. Easier to do it outside." she unrolled the old hose that was by the side of the house "Now, Bubba, take your clothes off."

"What?!"