Chapter 8

A few weeks passed and the family started up a routine. They would wake up in the morning, have breakfast together, Luda Mae and Drayton would go out to work, Nubbins would disappear to someplace and (Y/n) and Bubba would stay home. Bubba would make the meat in the basement and the girl would look after his grandpa (who usually didn't do much except breathe).

She was finally able to walk small distances and lean on furniture and the walls, but it was better than staying in that room forever. Bubba still hadn't moved to his own room, leaving her to keep sleeping there and him to be on the couch. And because of the routine she was now quite accustomed too that she asked for a change, something else to help with.

"Don't get me wrong, Ma." she tried to argue "Grandpa seems nice from what he can answer, but I wanted to help a little more." she explained to her.

"All right, dear." the woman sighed "I guess you can help Bubba with the small animals we have." she smiled, seeing how happy the girl was just from getting out of the house.

"Thank you, Ma!" the girl hugged her all of a sudden, surprising her, but she didn't let it show by hugging her back.

"Oh, it's nothing, honey." as she saw the girl hurry to the porch, she remembered something "Wait a minute! Let me fetch grandpa's old cane." the woman turned to the corridor, ready to go up the stairs.

"There's no need, Ma. I'll be careful." she said, trying to not be a burden.

"Nonsense." Luda Mae waved her hand, already climbing the stairs.

(Y/n) sighed, smiling softly while looking outside. It was a hot day, but not the ones that make you feel uncomfortable all the time, it was enjoyable, but still could make you sweat. She looked out of the porch, but only saw the tall dry grass and the path to the house. Where were the animals?

"Here, dear." the woman scared her, shoving the cane into her hands "Be careful out there. Me and Drayton will be leaving soon, so any help you need ask for Bubba." she stuck her head out of the front door "Bubba!" she shouted, hearing heavy footsteps on the grass approaching. When he appeared on the side of the house she continued, "Show her the animals."

The man nodded slightly and shyly waited for the girl to follow him.

"Go, dear." Ma pushed her a bit, making her start walking with the cane "We'll be back by lunch."

"Thank you again, Ma." she smiled, walking slowly with the cane, getting accustomed to it.

"You don't have to thank me, honey."

The girl waved at the woman as she got almost out of view, rounding the porch and walking away from the house, following Bubba to the back where there was some type of barn, beside it a chicken coop (she assumed, since there were some chickens running in front of it).

The man was quite happy with the help he would receive, from his sweetheart nonetheless. He was almost jumping on his feet to the barn. The girl too seemed eager, walking as fast as she could with the cane.

She heard a car in the distance, looking behind her, she saw Ma and Drayton in a car, driving away. Every single day, when they would leave, she would become flustered and anxious. Being alone with Bubba in the house meant that she could only talk to him, which always made her extremely happy and nervous. Happy to spend some time with the sweet man and nervous on how to act around him.

She stopped to look around, it all seemed like a fever dream. The warmth of the sun, the slight pain in her leg, the dry grass beneath her feet. Everything made her almost sigh dreamily. It wasn't an easy life nor the richest, but it seemed worth it.

She got out of her trance when Bubba shouted for her. Well, not shouted, groaned more likely. She hurried again after him, finally catching up in front of the barn.

"So, what will I be doing?" she asked, waiting for his instructions.

The man made some noises and opened the barn's door, then, he grabbed a bucket and a stool, bringing them closer to her. He pointed at one of the cows, telling her that she would be milking the animal.

"Oh..." she became flustered, remembering that she didn't know how to do even half of the farm work "I don't know how to do it."

Bubba pointed at his chest, inflating his lungs proudly, telling her that he would teach her.

"I hope I don't mess it up." she mumbled to herself, following the man once again.

He placed the stool next to the cow, her hind hooves were already bound to a nearby wood pole, preventing her from bucking when getting the milk. The bucket was already under the cow when he helped her down on the stool. His big heavy hands held her as gently as they could, her tiny ones dwarfed in comparison to his. She kept her injured leg stretched, not wanting to put too much pressure on it while it still healed.

She eagerly tried to hold the cow's udder, but when she pulled it a bit, nothing came out. A frown came to her face. She looked down at the ground, hands now on her lap and her face flushed. The girl felt the man behind her shift, getting a bit closer, his body leaning over hers.

"W-what am I supposed to do?" she stuttered, feeling Bubba's torso rub against her back.

The man groaned and reached around her, almost in a hug. He had grabbed the udder with one hand and the girl's hand with the other, putting them on the cow's tit, holding her palm in place, with his still on top of hers. He applied some pressure to her hand, then he pulled it slightly, finally taking some milk out of the cow.

"W-wow!" she managed to say, actually surprised at how easy this was, but still aware of the huge man behind her "T-thank you, Bubba." she said softly when he took his hand away.

That was when she noticed that his other hand was on her thigh, simply resting there. Her breathing became shallow and she could feel his own breathing on her neck.

A few seconds passed and she felt him sniff her hair, quite close to her ear, which made her squeal slightly. Which, in return, made him gasp roughly. He got up quickly and hurried out of the barn, almost knocking her out of the stool.

She wanted to shout for him, but decided it was best to let him cool off, since she too needed some time alone with her naughty thoughts and the cow in front of her.