Chapter 6

She discovered that, yes, it could become more embarrassing.

The apex of awkwardness was when she finally got a little better and Ma asked her to join them for dinner. Not exactly her asking, but when Bubba brought her downstairs in his arms. The look his brothers and mother were giving them, made the two blush like crazy. His grandpa was there too, but the old man didn't even seem to be paying attention or even seemed to be alive at all.

The girl covered her face with her hands, too flustered to even acknowledge Bubba placing her on a chair. She only came to herself when a cackle filled the air, so she looked up at the table. The brother with a birthmark on his face was laughing loudly and waving a pocket knife around.

"Bubba's got a girlfriend!" he kept repeating it over and over, making the giant's face hot and receiving a slap to his neck by Drayton.

"Behave, Nubbins!" Luda Mae said, bringing a serving dish full of sausages with her and placing it on the table "Well, dig in!"

And so, they did. Well, everyone but (Y/n). She couldn't reach any of the goods that were served, and Drayton noticed it. The man slapped Bubba's neck and shoved him off his chair, making him stand up awkwardly.

"Help her up, dumbass!" the man shouted, earning another cackle from Nubbins.

The big man fumbled with his hands a little, clearly nervous to mess anything up, but soon did what he's told. He placed two sausages on her plate and a bit of mashed potatoes. She thanked him gently, smiling at him. Bubba rubbed his hands together, flustered by the attention his crush was giving him.

The lunch went well, with the occasional shout from Drayton and laughs from Nubbins. The girl was more interested in the man sitting on the head of the table. She was pretty sure he was dead, but when Bubba got up to feed the old man some type of red liquid, she noticed that he sprang to life.

She continued to watch all of them interact while she ate, taking notes of what to say or act when they asked her something or she decided to comment on the topic at hand. Suddenly, she was completely caught off guard by Ma calling out to her.

"Y-yes, Ma?" she stuttered, feeling a little overwhelmed.

"How's the food, honey?"

"It's really good!" she said, placing another spoonful of mashed potatoes in her mouth.

"Girl, what were you doing passing by our property?" Drayton suddenly asked, curious and trying to cause a little mischief, see if she had any secrets or if he could make her uncomfortable "How did a bunch of orphans get a car to roam around like dying flies?"

"Drayton!" Luda Mae shouted, outraged by the man's lack of empathy.

"If she's gonna live with us, we gotta know her better, ain't we?" the man said, crossing his arms and leaning on the chair he was seated on.

"I- Okay. I guess I should say something about myself." the girl said, shrinking on herself "Me and my friends met in the orphanage, we grew up there. So, we got pretty close." she shrugged, smiling over the memories that passed through her head "As we grew, we wanted to see the world, get out of that place. We got old enough to work and earn money, we bought a car and planned to travel someplace to find a house and jobs for all of us. But then, the crash happened." she finished, looking into the infinite, lost inside her own mind.

The room was silent for a bit, but Drayton broke it with a smile and a fist punching the table not too hard.

"Good to know that you're a worker!" he said, pointing at Bubba right after "You'll be helping him with the animals and the kitchen."

"Drayton, she's in no condition to do anything yet. Poor thing can't even stand on her own." Ma said, smiling sympathetically at the girl.

"It's all right, Ma." she smiled too "I can help with anything after I'm healed. I don't plan to stay still, sir." she argued, showing that she could be a helping hand and not just another mouth to feed.

"Ha! You don't know what you're getting into, girly!" Nubbins laughed, eating his food quite fast and messy.

Drayton kicked his brother underneath the table, making him jump from surprise and start laughing harder.

"Now back to work, you dumbasses." Drayton got up and grabbed Nubbins by the scruff of his neck, throwing him out of the room.

"Bubba, would you help me wash the dishes?" his mother asked him, already carrying some plates to the kitchen.

The big man only nodded, and grabbed the rest of the tableware and brought it to his mother. The girl was feeling kind of bad for doing nothing all day and being helped every time she had to do something specific. So she shouted for Bubba.

"I could help!" she said, looking between the giant man and his mother "I can dry the dishes."

"All right, all right. I think you'll be as handy as shirt pockets, dear." Luda Mae said, placing the plates inside the sink "So, I'll leave you two to it." she took her apron off and gave it to Bubba, who happily put the pink clothing on "I'll be at the store. Don't break anything, young man!" she pointed at her son, squinting her eyes a bit, then, she turned to the girl still on the table "Keep an eye on him, sweetheart." she joked, heading out of the kitchen.

"Yes, Ma!" (Y/n) shouted to her, a playful smile on her face.

Bubba seemed to be stuck on the same spot. He wasn't sure what to do and was too shy to either ask (which he would do with a few grunts) or make a decision on his own. He was actually happy when the girl took the initiative to say something.

"Put a chair in the kitchen, that way it'll be easier."

The girl started to get up, completely forgetting about her broken leg. She could only stand up, but the immense pain she felt brought her to the ground. She couldn't even put her arms forward to slow her fall with how intense the pain was. She curled in herself and held her leg to her chest, tears building up in her eyes and a groan coming out of her lips.

Bubba shook his arms around for two seconds, surprised by her action and afraid with her cry of pain. He hurried to her side, kneeling down on the ground and hovering his hands over her body, not knowing what to do. He usually just killed the ones that made noises, he didn't know how to make them stop without a hammer or a chainsaw.

Since (Y/n) heard the man's heavy footsteps, she opened her tightly closed eyes and searched for his face. She smiled awkwardly at him, like she only stubbed her toe on the side of the table.

"I-it's all right, Bubba." she said, letting go of her leg and leaning on her arm to stay seated "I just fell over." she put her hand on the chair she was seated on and tried to get up again, planning to sit back on the chair.

But the man had other plans, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her away from the chair. She looked at him confused, he only shook his head, grunting softly.

"I'm fine, Bubba. Let's clean those plates up." she smiled again, dismissing his rough demeanor and confusing it with worry.

The man again shook his head, this time faster and grunting a little louder. He grabbed her, lifting her off the floor, surprisingly being gentle with her. She had a confused face while being dragged upstairs. She could sense something dangerous from the man, and an eerie feeling.

For the first time living with this family, she was afraid.