Chapter 26: Escaping Expulsion

It was a breezy, early Wednesday morning, only a couple of days had passed since the Selkidomus hunt. Today would mark the first day at school since the Petrification Ceremony. Luz wondered how her friends would be when she didn't show up.

Currently Luz and Hunter were on patrol in Bonesborough, making sure the town's criminals weren't up to something. As usual the town was peaceful as townsfolk left their houses to go to school or work. It was relatively boring walking through town, usually nothing noteworthy would happen on patrols. But on the off chance something did happen, Luz had her staff- as per usual along with her belt of potions and the dagger it carried, she also started carrying a couple of glyphs since the Selkidomus mission. She made sure to hide them in her pocket though, she wasn't sure if Hunter would approve- probably not, but from personal experience she knew he was interested in the subject.

"So how's your training been going since you've returned?" Hunter asked, trying to fill in the silence between the two. Luz shrugged, "fine I guess, Terra is a nightmare and Adrian is as annoying as ever with his unhelpful notes."

"Tell me about it, they're both the worst. So glad I don't have to train as much anymore." Hunter replied. "Yeah, lucky you." Luz commented sarcastically with an eye roll. Hunter nudged her side, "hey! I heard that at the end of the year you'll have to complete a test, if you pass you don't have to train as much anymore. You'll only have to do the occasional spar and obstacle course to keep in shape."

"Hoo-ray I'll get to do mountains of paperwork instead or standing in the throne room more often and doing absolutely nothing. Hip hip hooray." Luz gave an unenthusiastic fist pump to the air to go along with the flat tone of her voice. Hunter chuckled awkwardly "I-it's not so bad... you'll probably go on more solo missions on the weekend as well..." he trailed as the wind blew gently, making their capes ruffle in the wind.

Luz hummed, choosing not to believe that. She hoped she wouldn't be in the Boiling Isles still when that time came. "Oh! You know that rumor about Head Witch Craine retiring?" Hunter asked, "yeah? It's been floating around the castle for a good while." Luz replied. "Well turns out it's true!"

"Really? How do you know?" Luz asked. "At the last meeting he announced his retirement, I think it'll take effect in a week or two. It gives enough time for the new Head Witch to get into place, I don't think it'll be announced to the public for a bit though." Hunter explained. "Who's gonna be the new Head Witch then? Last I heard the rumor was Raine Whispers." Luz said, as they turned down the path that would pass Hexside.

Hunter nodded, "it hasn't been confirmed yet but I'm 100% positive it's them. They've climbed the ranks pretty fast and they're a powerful bard." Luz smirked, "been reading people's files again?" Hunter huffed, "it's actually quite useful to read files of the people you could potentially work with."

Luz shook her head fondly, her gaze traveling past Hunter and landing on the building they were passing by. Hexside towered over them, there weren't any students lingering outside since classes were in session. Luz wondered once again what her friends thought about her not showing up. Were they concerned? Indifferent? Worried? Or did they just shrug it off?

Something caught Luz's eye, a poster of some sort. Hunter kept walking, not noticing that Luz stopped. Once he noticed, Hunter came back to stand beside her. "What's up?" He asked.

Luz blinked, "oh, it's just some banned posters..." she trailed, gesturing at the three posters. Hunter looked, "it's just some random kids- wait, is that you?" He asked pointing at one of them. "Why is there a banned poster of you?" Hunter asked, looking to Luz questioningly.

"I might have uh... gone to Hexside for a bit. Eda signed me up. But, I don't know why I'm banned now or why... these other two kids are also banned." Luz explained awkwardly. The other two banned posters were Willow and Gus, Luz was very confused on why they had been banned. They would never do anything ban worthy.