Chapter 17: The First Day

Luz had passed the entrance exam easily enough and was now headed to her first day of school at Hexside. She was on the back of Eda's staff as the Owl Lady flew Owlbert to their destination. Luz had taken one of her elixirs that day, she didn't want anything to go wrong today. Especially with her curse. She was currently wearing the school uniform except she had white leggings and sleeves. She didn't have her belt with her but she did have her glyphs and staff.

Luz wouldn't admit it but she was kinda nervous. She'd never been to school before, or at least hasn't been to one in a very long time. It was crazy to think, Luz had faced dangerous creatures and wild witches and on occasion angry Coven heads. Or psychotic in Terra's case. But Luz was nervous about a bunch of teens in the same building?

"I know that look kid, don't worry about what those dorks think. If you want my advice, walk into class and punch the first kid you see. To establish dominance." Eda suggested, turning back to face the front. Luz laughed softly "I won't be doing that, but thanks."

They finally landed in front of the school, students already heading inside. Luz dismounted from the staff when Eda spoke "Last chance to back out, and earn a new Bad Girl Coven patch." She held up a patch that read 'Quitter Badge'. "Quitting: It's like trying, but easier." Luz shook her head fondly "I'll see you later, Eda."

Luz turned to head off to the school "suit yourself." Eda called after her, taking off back to the Owl House. There was a banner above the doors reading 'WELCOME TO THE NEW SEMESTER.' Luz looked around with interest as Amity and an abomination came up to her.

"Hey, Luz! Congrats on getting in." Amity greeted, waving, her abomination copying her movements. "Thanks Amity. Up top!" Luz held her hand out and Amity high-fived her, the abomination also gave her a high-five. Except it was on her face, leaving abomination goop on her face. Amity and the abomination walked away as Luz wiped the goop off her face "yuck."

Luz was determined to teach as many people about high-fiving, just for the soul purpose of teasing Hunter about it later. Anyways, Luz headed over to the main staircase where she found Willow and Gus.

"Luz!" The two called as she approached them. "Hey, fellow Hexoleos!" Luz greeted. "Hello, classmate!" Willow winked, striking a pose with her hand under her chin. "You did it, Luz!" Gus cheered, summoning floating letters above them that read 'BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME' Willow glared at him while Luz looked at the letters with a blank expression. "Sorry, I was, uh, covering all my bases." Gus explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

Deciding to change the subject, Willow spoke. "So, do you know who those witches are?" She pointed at the nine banners. Luz looked to where Willow was pointing and grimaced, yeah she knew them, probably better than most. "Those are the heads of the main nine covens. Each one excelled at a magic school like. Glandus, St. Epiderm, and of course, Hexside. Are you prepared to enter these hallowed halls?" Willow asked.

"Well, that's what I'm gonna figure out right now. I'll see you on the other side, friends." Luz answered, heading inside the school and heading through the halls to Principal Bump's office. Luz knocked before entering "greetings, Principal Bump." She greeted formally.

Bump looked up from the crystal ball he was watching. "Oh, yes. Now, today we'll be visited by the Emperor's Coven for a routine inspection. If we want to impress them, you'll need to join a Coven track before they arrive." Luz's eyebrow rose, she was pretty sure an inspection was in a couple more weeks, perhaps they changed it.

"Alright, so which track is first? Do you have a schedule?" Luz asked. The Principal laughed "studying multiple tracks at once? No one does that." Bump answered. "Really? I thought if a student wanted to join the Emperor's Coven they'd have to study all the tracks?" Luz questioned.