Chapter 23: Trust Your Mind or Your Heart?

Tw: Abuse/Physical Injury of a child, Blood, Manipulation, Slight Panic Attack- it's barely a panic attack but putting the warning anyways. I'll put these ~~~ at the beginning and end of that bit.

Luz stared. That's all she could do. Just stare at the roof where the platform had taken Eda away to be petrified. Luz should have taken the key that first day on her mission. She had it in her hand for Titan's sake! But nooo, Luz just had to go back and help Eda against Warden Wrath. Deciding to stall her mission as long as possible and getting herself attached to the criminals that lived in the Owl House.

If she had taken that first chance, Luz wouldn't have grown attached, Eda wouldn't have been captured and petrified, King and Hooty wouldn't have been left alone, and Luz wouldn't have suffered the guilt of it all!

The key hung around her neck, her gloved hand still gripping it tightly her other hand clenched in her lap. She sighed, there wasn't anything she could do now. Luz stood, still clutching the key, and looking away from the roof. She looked down at the key, opening her hand so she could see it in the palm of her gloved hand. She stared at it for a good moment, she was actually able to get it.

She tucked the key away inside her shirt, wiping away the tears she had cried and opened her bag for the rest of her uniform. Putting her white cloak back over her shoulders. Footsteps echoed outside the room, Luz turned around as the door was pushed open by Lilith. A frown made it's way onto Lilith's face once she spotted Luz and no Eda in sight.

"Amber Guard, what are you doing here?" Lilith asked carefully, she held her staff in one hand and made her way into the room. "I could ask you the same thing." Luz replied just as carefully. The two studied each other in silence for a moment. Lilith's body language was tense while Luz was exhausted yet alert.

Lilith broke the silence first. "From the few interactions I've seen, you do care for Edalyn don't you?" Luz looked away "what's it to you?" Luz asked, crossing her arms and glaring at the witch. She still wasn't over her anger at Lilith cursing her own sister.

"You don't want Edalyn to be petrified anymore than I do." Lilith stated like it was fact. "So? Why do you care?" Luz spat, taking a more defensive posture. Lilith looked away for a moment, contemplating before replying. "I'm here to rescue my sister, would you help me?" She asked, looking back at Luz.

Luz blinked in confusion "what?" She asked quietly, unsure if she heard Lilith correctly. "I don't know if I can do it alone. It would be nice to have some backup if things went south." Lilith continued, emboldened by Luz's not immediate hostile reaction.

Luz stared in shock for a moment before shaking her head. "Sorry, but I can't help you." Luz replied with a cold stare. A look of disappointment crossed Lilith's face from Luz's reply, but was quickly replaced by determination. "However, I will not stop you from trying." Luz continued more softly.

Surprise filled Lilith's face "but... why would you step aside?" She asked, confused. Luz didn't reply for a moment, instead choosing to walk past her to the door. Lilith turned to watch her carefully, incase Luz decided to attack. Luz stopped by the door and replied. "You're right about one thing, Lilith. I do care about Eda."

"But there are too many consequences for me if I helped you." Luz stated. "I got what I came for, I won't stop you. I should buy you some time before the Emperor himself notices what you're up too." Luz looked back to Lilith's stunned expression. "Now, you're running out of time Lilith." She said, putting on her mask and opening the door.

Luz turned and made her way down the hall, soon after Luz heard Lilith's footsteps echoing as she headed in the opposite direction. Luz made her way back to the Castle as fast as she could. It was evening by now, the sun slowly starting to sink lower in the sky. Luz knew that Emperor Belos would still be in the throne room until closer to sundown.