- 4: Mistakes Happen -

It's been a week since Frank came over. He's been nicer recently, he even showed me his preserved butterflies! I was on my usual route for delivery when I arrived at Frank's house.

"Hello, Eddie." He greeted me with the most blank face I've ever seen. I've actually never seen him smile.

"Good afternoon! You've got a package today, sir." I gave him the small red box with a yellow ribbon.

"Definitely from Julie. Thank you, have a nice day." I nodded in response and stepped down the stairs of his porch. I kneeled down and admired the flowers and the unique pots that they were in. I looked back to Frank's window where I saw his eye peaking out at me. I shrugged it off and stood up to begin walking off when I heard a loud door slam from 2 houses down. I jumped and accidentally threw my left leg forward, knocking over one of Frank's beautiful flower pots. I set my hands over my mouth and gasped. Shit, what do I do?!

"What was that noise?" I heard the voice behind me. I stood there, completely frozen. I heard the man gasp and run down the stairs. "What did you do?!" I couldn't speak, I felt so bad.

"I- it was an accident-" Frank stared up at me as I nervously scratched my arm.

"Oh no, it was the one-of-a-kind pot!" The guilt I felt consumed me by this point. One of a kind... expensive... I thought.

"I'm sorry Frank, I really didn't mean it!" I kneeled beside him but he pushed me away.

"God, you are so clumsy!" He quickly picked up the pieces of his pot. "Watch your surroundings, Edward!" No one has called me 'Edward' in years. He stood up while I sat on the ground in utter shock. Before he could go inside I quickly stood up.

"Is there any way to make it up to you?! I'm really sorry, it was a complete accident!" He frowned at me.

"Pay me the $300 dollars I spent on this pot and maybe we'll talk." My jaw dropped. $300 for a POT?

"That's so much... anything else? Please! Mistakes happen, I'm sorry!" Frank rolled his eyes at me before walking inside his house and slamming the door. I stood there, feeling worse than our first bad interaction. I walked away and silently finished my deliveries, not even knocking. I dragged myself home, feeling guilty and terrible.

"What can I do..." I thought out loud as I enter my bathroom. I noticed that the pot cut my leg and my arm. How did my ARM get hurt? I wondered. I quickly bandaged my arm and leg before falling on the couch. "... maybe I can buy him something? No, I don't really know what he has and does not have..." I said allowed. I rolled onto my stomach and continued to think.

"Oh, I could write a letter!" I shot up and off the couch, took a piece of lined paper out of a notebook, and started writing.

"Dear Frank,"

"I'm sorry about kicking over your pot. Someone slammed their door, and it startled me, which caused my leg to kick forward because I thought something may have been coming at me."

"I understand that just saying, 'sorry' isn't enough, but I don't know what else to do. I know why you want me to pay you $300 dollars, but I'm unable to pay that fee."

"I hope you can find a way to forgive me, or at least get over it."

"Love..." I immediately scribbled out 'love'. I don't love Frank! He's just a neighbor.

"From, Eddie Dear." I finished my note and slipped it into a red, blue, and yellow envelope.

"Should I deliver it now?" I thought. "Sure, why not." I quickly put my shoes back on and ran out the door, wanting to get this done ASAP. Once arriving at his house, I quietly walked up to the mailbox and slid it inside.  I looked around to make sure Frank wasn't outside, then walked back to my house.

"I hope he forgives me."

------------ Notes ------------

Words (before notes): 677

I'm so so sorry that this chapter took so long, I was super busy. (That's also why it's so short...)

I'm happy to announce that I have an AO3 account now! The username is the same as my Wattpad user: Peaarlx.

This story is posted there too, in case you like AO3 better.

I hate this chapter but whatever lmao