- 1: New Mailman in Town -

If you didn't read the info page, please do!

I jolted awake at the sound of a loud train. I forgot that a new resident was moving into our neighborhood. Our perfect neighborhood, no changes needed, was about to be disrupted. I groaned and rolled out of bed with a frown across my face. I slowly got dressed and started my coffee before my doorbell rang.

"Hello?" I opened the door to see my friend, Julie, staring at me with a huge smile on her face. "What's got you so happy this early in the morning?" I questioned her and she pushed her way into my house, almost causing me to drop my coffee cup.

"The new neighbor! I wonder who they could be! Their name, gender, interests, you know!" She joyfully said. I guess her last name is very fitting.

"I'm nowhere near excited. I'm rather unhappy about it." Julie frowned at me.

"Why, Frank! Change is exciting! You could meet a new friend. After all, you usually only talk to me, which is kind of sad, to be frank." I rolled my eyes and sat my cup down on the table beside me.

"Because change is troublesome. I'm used to our neighborhood being how it is, with all the people. I've already seen the house that Wally and Barnaby built for them, it seems like they'll just deliver mail to all of us. Just a delivery person and they will never be anything more to me." Julie sighed.

"Please just try to talk to them, at least be friendly. Please?" Julie gave me puppy eyes.

"Erhh fine." I groaned while Julie cheered. "But my conversations with them will only be small talk. Nothing more." Julie nodded and headed off. I sighed and laid my head on the table. I hate people.

Time skip to about 30 minutes later.

I walked out of my house and down to the train station just outside of town. Everyone was crowded around the place where the train would stop just as it was pulling in. I went up and stood next to Julie.

"Hi, Frank! Glad you actually came!" I nodded and turned my head back to the train. The door opened and a tall, tan man came out with large suitcases. He was wearing a short-sleeved button-down shirt. His clothes appeared to be a mailman's uniform. He nervously smiled as everyone burst into sound, all saying hello and welcoming him into town. He shrunk his head down into his shoulder. It looked like an attempt to cover his ear. As soon as the ruckus calmed down, Wally stepped up.

"Hello there, new neighbor! Your house is finished, do you want to introduce yourself?" The man nodded and Wally stepped back.

"Hi, I'm Eddie- Eddie Dear. I'm a mailman and I'll be delivering mail around the town from now on. I hope we can all get along!" He smiled and Julie ran up to him, leaving me alone. I walked back a little bit, it was all too crowded. Seriously, he's just a mailman. I sat down on the bench that was behind me and took the book that I brought and began to read, drowning out my surroundings. I ignored the crowd until someone came up to me.

"Excuse me?" I looked up and it was the new neighbor, standing above me. "I don't believe I've talked to you yet, what's your name?" I stood up, dusted off my pants, and cleared my throat.

"I'm Frank Frankly. It's a pleasure to meet you." I spit the word pleasure at him while shaking his hand and giving him a dirty look. He laughed nervously. (A/N: If you don't know what a "dirty look" is, it's kinda like a really angry side eye. My parents say it lmao)

"Nice to meet you too. I've got to get going to unpack my things now, I hope to see you around!" He grabbed all his stuff and quickly walked away. I sighed and walked back to my house. Once inside, my phone started to ring.

"Hello?" I said as I picked up the phone.

"Hi hi hi Frank!" It was Julie. "Do you like the new neighbor?!" 

"He's okay, I guess. He looked like he'd be really full of himself, but we only shared a few sentences." I could practically feel Julie's frown.

"He was super nice to me! He told me that he's from a big city but left to live a calmer life, isn't that just so cool!"

"Sure, Julie. I've got to get going though, I'm out of butter and need some for the dinner I'm planning on making tonight."

"Oh, alright! Bye, Frank!" 

"Goodbye, Julie." I hung up the phone and rechecked the fridge to make sure all I needed from Howdy's Bodega was butter. Turns out I needed jam too. I left my house once again and walked down the street to Howdy's Bodega. I pushed open the door and noticed someone. It was Eddie. I let out a quiet, annoyed sigh, and quickly gathered the stuff I needed. 

"Excuse me, I need to check out." Eddie jumped and turned around.

"Oh gosh, I'm sorry! I'll get out of your way." He quickly scooted out of the way and awkwardly smiled at me.

"Thanks," I said dryly and moved up. 

"Good afternoon, Frank! What are you getting today?" Howdy asked as I set my items down.

"Just butter and jam. I ran out." Howdy smiled and rang me up. The whole time Howdy and I interacted, Eddie just stood there fiddling with his thumbs. 

"About $9, please!" I pulled my wallet out.

"Jeez, $9 for two items is a lot." I heard Eddie mumble out an "I" before he stopped himself. I shot a glance over to him before looking back at Howdy.

"That's how prices are these days." I paid and collected my things before leaving. The entire walk home I just thought about the new neighbor Eddie. He was definitely a weird guy. 

The rest of the day went on rather normally, besides the neighborhood being a little louder than usual because everyone wanted to talk to the man. I can already tell that this will be hard to get used to.

------------ Notes ------------

words (before notes): 1018

Sorry if this was bad, or uneventful. I like writing long, slow fanfics. I'll try to get another chapter(s) out later this week. Please leave advice in the comments!