Chapter Sixteen

(Loki's Pov)

With magic it's easy to make mistakes. Words mispronounced, the wrong gestures, even simply if a spell decided to disobey the caster. Mistakes were to be expected even from the most expert of magicians.

But losing control of one's magic was not. To spend more magic than one intended wasn't a simple mistake to be shrugged off and forgotten. It could mean life or death. If you spent all your life force, what was left to fuel your body and mind?

Loki thought that Y/N knew this. Someone would have taught her such basic preventions to make sure she could control her magic. Hel, she shouldn't be able to do half the spells she attempts without at least a basic understanding.

So to lose control of her magic in such a way? As Y/N apologized to the team and Stark, having no knowledge or intention of her spell's contagious nature?

Something was off about this Midgardian. She shouldn't even have access to enough magic that such things happened accidentally. Just to cast one spell should take a great effort for someone in her position. It should take most of her efforts just to keep up the illusions surrounding herself. Why a Midgardian would need such strong illusions, he didn't know. But with his own secrets that he preferred to keep hidden, Loki overlooked such a thing. Surely someone with her openness couldn't have that horrible of a secret.

Then again, Loki didn't know all that much about her, did he?

He would have to amend that.

This troublesome train of thought led to the prince following the witchling, as he tried to find a solution for his concern. Because whether he admitted it or not, if Y/N died from an overdose of magic he would grieve. Such a thought was devestating.

He didn't want to see her get hurt.

Such a feeling was strange at first, and Loki tried to ignore the thoughts behind it. A god worried over a meddlesome midgardian? It was unheard of. He should be above such... enchantments.

Yet he couldn't stop until he found a way to prevent such an outcome. As Loki paced his room, shortly after the dinner. Y/N disappeared to her quarters, as most of the Avengers did as well.

How could she stay safe until they found the source of this extra magic? It surely couldn't be coming from her, the amounts only comparable to the kin of other realms. Of people who lived for thousands and thousands of years, with enough energy saved to sustain such complex or draining spells.

Or, for it to even be possible to lose control.

But, if the magic didn't come from within her, what other source was there?

*

(Your Pov)

Knock. Knock. Knock.

Of course. Someone just had to visit after your misdemeanor at dinner, instead of letting you brood over your mistake, didn't they? You should've been more conscious of your magic than to let its use escape your attention like that. It's been happening more and more, first with the shields, and now this.

Why? What changed? Have you been using more magic than you should've been? You supposed before waking in this century you didn't use it much, except for the illusions over your spells or the occasional protective charm. But now through this deal with Shield you've been using record amounts on missions.

Hopefully, since you're on Loki duty for the time being you can gain control again. Or at least figure out why it's acting out. You're drawing too much attention to yourself otherwise.

"Who is it?" You call to the door, not in a mood to see anyone at the moment. The Avengers could wait. You already apologized and cleaned up your mess, what else did they want? You wouldn't stand to be ridiculed for an accident, not by anyone besides yourself, anyway. You didn't need any more guilt.