Chapter Seven

(Your Pov)

Shwoo~

Magic flooded the room, as you manipulated the energy. You'd done this quite a few times now, and needed as much practice as you could. You closed your eyes, stretching the barrier across the upper doorway.

"... and that's when I said-" Clint's voice came from down the way. You couldn't do anything but help the smile that crawled across your lips. "-you need to get your own damn- Oof!"

You strained against the impact, but made sure your shield still held strong before letting it go. Practice was practice, right? Might as well be a little shit about it.

"Y/N!" Bruce stood beside him, hands on his hips. Fortunately he had been walking a step behind Barton, otherwise he'd be the one to receive the face of this spell. And the dormant Hulk being pranked? Not a good idea.

"That was mean." Clint grumbled, rubbing his nose from the impact. If you were right, it should've felt like ramming into a wall. An invisible spell barrier.

Oh yes, this would be very handy.

Natasha walked in from the other side of the room, looking between the three of you. "What's going on?"

"She hit me!" Clint shouted, as you crossed your arms from the accusation. Was he trying to get you in trouble, or did he really not know what happened?

"Really? And how did I do that from over here?" You gestured to the distance between you, as you stood in the living room. He stayed in confused silence. "I was practicing my shield skills. It's not exactly my fault you walked into them."

Clint complained about your logic as he stomped off, forgetting his story. Bruce and Nat looked at you with stern expressions. Apparently that trick wasn't tower appropriate. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize to me." Natasha put up her hands, turning toward the elevator. But before she arrived, it opened.

Revealing the loudest voice you've heard in 800 years. "Friends! I have returned!"

You spin on your heel, facing the god. You knew he was on the Avengers, but everyone had assumed he wouldn't be coming back. The god of thunder was supposed to stay in Asgard guarding his brother.

"Thor?!" The team shouted in an uproar, those on the floor turning to face him.

He was old now. Older than any you've met, anyway. While before he had looked in his late teens, it seemed as if ten years had passed. And technically they had. 853 years since that night in 1160.

Thor wasn't the unruly warrior prince you had known before. Life had taken its toll. You could see sorrow haunting his expression, the weight of mistakes and loss dragging his movements. But it's not that something was wrong now. Things had happened, and he realised that not even gods are immortal to troubles.

"This is a surprise." Bruce broke the silence first, starting the questions. "How are you?"

"I am well, Banner." He smiled broadly, patting the doctor on the back. He exchanged greetings and other small talk with the others, as the team filed in to see this disturbance. Well, the news that Thor had to share, anyway. Occasionally he would catch your eye, and a strange expression crossed his face.

He didn't remember. Of course he didn't, you barely did! One drunken night over 800 years ago tended to be forgotten. Even if Thor did remember- he thought you were mortal. He thought you were long dead. You were simply the ghost of someone he once met.

It did cross your mind that if he had aged so, then so would have the others. Sif, Volstagg, Fandral, Hogun... and Loki. The Avengers said he had come to Earth in a fit of rage, trying to take over the world with an alien army. But for the boy you knew, that mischievous, curious boy, to commit such an act of wrath? You weren't one to try to predict the future, but you really thought he'd end up as someone great. With a good meaning to his name.

Not... the dark prince.

You weren't mad. You had no reason to be, as you didn't know him. You didn't know his life. You didn't know the events that led up to his actions. And you weren't afraid, either. Few could draw that reaction from you. Perhaps that he may spread rumors about you, but if Thor didn't remember, no doubt Loki did. You were safe.

And yet, when you had heard what the boy had done, you were disappointed. At how life treated him, and how he reacted. What drove him to such violence?

"So, what's the news?" Tony's voice shook away your thoughts, as the team finally settled together. Clint had returned by now, and you promptly apologized. A prank is only funny if everyone laughs. Or, in the very least, isn't hurt.

Thor took a breath, readying himself for the onslaught. "My father has issued my brother's return."

What?

"What!" The cries rose from the crowd, "Absolutely not!"

"What do you mean, return? To prison?" Natasha intervened before things could become any more nasty.

He sucked in his lips, hesitating on the truth. "Eh... Not quite. He's coming here to pay off his crimes against the realm-"

"So community service?" Tony laughed. "Loki gets community service? He commanded an army against Earth!"

"I was against it! But my father will always do what he thinks is best."

Clint stepped in, "Like banishing you?" Wait, Thor was what? No wonder he looked like a sad puppy.

"That is not the point."

"Then what is the point? Does he expect us to roll on our backs and agree to whatever?! This is Earth. Or midgard- whatever you want to call it. The place where Loki and his army killed thousands." Bruce fidgeted with his sleeves as he talked, staring down the god. How does he stay so calm? You stood off to the side, knowing your opinion wouldn't be welcome now. If they wanted it, the team would ask. Someone would ask.

Thor sighed. "I know you have been slighted. That is why the king is sending him here. Loki must make up for his crimes in order to return to Asgard. This is beyond my decision, and it is not in your best interests to decline."

"Not in our best interests?" Steve laughed. You've never seen him so worked up. He was usually so serious in the face of trouble, not speaking with this laughable mock. "Thor, Loki is not allowed to return. You say it's beyond your power, well this is beyond ours. Loki must stay in Asgard. We don't have the resources-" Resources? They were living with an immortal magician. You had all the time in the world. Earth had plenty of resources.

With this on your mind, you interrupt. Who cares about them asking? You were an Avenger now! You had as much say in this as the next person. "How much time?"

Thor met your eyes in gratitude. He may not know who you are, but he could still appreciate an ally. "There is a week for preparations, then I will escort him here."

"And he's staying in the tower." Clint muttered, running a hand down his face. "Is there any good news? At all? Or is life just a shit show?"

His comments drew a few concerned glances, but Thor took his questions seriously. "He will have his magic limited as seen fit, and his communication with other realms monitored. I am going to stay as well."

That wasn't so bad. Loki on Earth, with little magic and limited communication with outside realms. Basically, the tower would be his prison. But if he still is the trickster you remember him being, this would be a very long imprisonment.

Fuck Odin. He's an asshole.

"Let him stay."