22. Always be sure

22. Always be sure

Niko

I felt ashamed of myself. Never before have I lost control so and taken a woman callously. I couldn't face Kaitlyn after last night. That's why I left here there without waking her. She slept on the floor because of me. How can a man not take care of his woman?

"You're not driving with alcohol still in your system." Caleb looked at me ready to argue.

"You drive then." He relaxed.

"Where to?"

"The hospital." His mouth fell open.

"Niko, I don't think that's a good idea after last night."

"Are you going to drive or not?" I didn't need a lecture from Caleb. I fucked up. I knew it. I fucked up long before last night. Kaitlyn didn't leave me this time but she could have. She could have disappeared and hid herself like she did years ago. I don't want that to ever happen again. So I have to get rid of all the things that could make something like that happen. The biggest problem Kaitlyn has is with Victoria. I've never really done anything to fix that. That's what I'm going to do now.

"What happened last night?"

"I didn't hit her if that's what you're thinking."

"I wasn't thinking that at all. If there is one person who can handle you when you're like that it's her. You love her. You'd never hurt someone you love." I didn't agree or disagree. Alcohol is a scary thing. It can turn you into another person without your consent.

____________________

Victoria was doing well. She was stable and recovering nicely. That was a good thing. I told Caleb to wait outside to give us some privacy.

"Niko, what are you doing here so early? It's barely eight o'clock."

"You're recovering nicely I hope."

"Yes, thanks to you." I nodded.

"I don't think I can see you anymore." Cutting right to the chase would make it easier for her.

"What are you talking about?"

"I think it's time to end our friendship."

"You're not making any sense."

"I'll find you another sponsor for your research. I can't do it anymore. I'd appreciate it if you don't show up here unannounced again."

"Are you hearing yourself right now? We've known each other for fourteen years. You're just going to throw it away? It's because of her isn't it? Did she send you here?"

"I'm not doing this because Kaitlyn asked me to. She didn't. I'm doing it because it's something that should have been done a long time ago. You make things difficult for my relationship when you do things like these. It's time you let go and stop using our friendship as an excuse."

"I can't believe you're doing this. Is sex with her that great?"

"Don't be petty, Victoria. Kaitlyn is the mother of my child. You will respect her as long as you are in front of me." She scoffed.

"Spare me the mother of your child crap. You didn't even know you had a child. That's how vindictive that bitch is."

"Victoria."

"Am I not allowed to say how I feel anymore? You act like she walks on water. She's an evil witch who will use you and toss you aside when she's finished. I wanted to give you a child! Twice! You told me to get rid of it!"