{9} act of vigor

"mudeok-ah" maid kim called her.

"yes?"

"is young master still not talking?" she asked in worry.

"no" she sighed.

"his back was flogged, but it seems his mouth was as well" jiyoon said as she came to them.

"oh, lady ahn" she bowed, "he cries in pain even when he bumps his fingers into something. but he is being silent after being flogged hundred times. i am truly worried"

"he is a crybaby, so i am guessing it is still bearable for him" mudeok said and jiyoon nudged her.

"his back is not what is paining him. it is his heart" maid kim told her.

"he was cast away by the man he considered a father figure. he must be so heartbroken" jiyoon sighed.

"he must be thinking he was abandoned" maid kim also sighed "by the way, did you go somewhere?" maid kim asked as she looked at the bunch of rosemary in her hand.

"yes, to sejukwon" jiyoon replied, "i brought these for him to bath in it. it will sooth his pain"

"ah, i see. please continue" maid kim left.

"you should be happy that you got flogged. they will not be able to retrieve the torrent of energy right away. you will have more time to train" mudeok told uk.

"young master, are you alright?" jiyoon asked him in worry.

uk leaned down and put his palm above the bath water.

"jiyoon-ah, mudeok-ah, look at this. i think i used my energy to make these ripples" he said.

mudeok took a pan and threw it on the water. "the water is just rippling!" she exclaimed.

"why is it not working? i have been practicing my breathing technique"

"so that is what you were doing in silence. i thought you were wallowing in sadness for being abandoned" jiyoon said.

"wallowing in sadness?" uk scoffed. "i was abandoned from the moment i was born. and this is not my first time getting kicked out. it does not even faze me anymore. just wait and see, that day will come soon when songrim would be begging me to come back"

mudeok chuckled, "i guess being stupid can be helpful sometimes"

"i am acting out of vigor! by the way, why is it so hot in here?" uk asked.

"hot? i am cold though" jiyoon quickly checked the water and then uk's temperature. "you are burning up"

"i feel strange. i think my body is getting hotter"

jiyoon remembered. "it is the energy. however this soon?"

"it is surging up already?" mudeok asked as jiyoon nodded. "the floggings!" mudeok exclaimed. "it caused the torrent of energy to surge faster. i am glad you got flogged" she pat him, more like hit him.

"yoonah, i am burning up"

"you will burn once the torrent of energy transforms into heat. then you will feel chilly when it becomes cold. that energy will only be yours if you can bear this. keep breathing slowly" jiyoon said and uk nodded. she gestured mudeok to bring cold water.

jiyoon poured the cold water on him as vapours filled the bathroom. "hold on, you have to"

 "hold on, you have to"