MOTHER-IN-LAW'S OUTFIT

Author's POV

After feeding each other the first morsel Abhay and Simran ate breakfast. She got up after finishing her food and took her and his plate. She was going towards the kitchen to keep the empty dishes. That's when Ahana came there.

"Arey, beta you don't need to do all this." She said and called Sonali who came in a few seconds, "Sona bache, please keep these plates in the kitchen." Nodding Sona took plates from her hand and left.

"Simran, bache you come with me." She said. She nodded and left with Ahana. Abhay, who was sitting there alone, also stood up and went to Ekaksh' s room to play some video games with him to pass the time.

Ahana entered her room with Simran tailing behind. Ahana walked towards the cupboard and took out a jewellery box and a big box which might have some outfit.

She turned towards Simran who was standing there looking at her. She gestured to her to come and she walked towards her and took the heavy box placing it on the bed.

"Beta, this is your mother-in-law's wedding dress. And this is her jewellery. This is the only necklace set we have of her with us. So you keep it with you. It's yours now. And wear it for your Muh Dikhayi."

"But how can I..." She was saying when Ahana interrupted.

"Beta, Maa baap ki har cheez par bacchon ka hi hak hota hai. Agar Didi ki koi beti hoti toh main yeh sab use de deti. Lekin ab beti nahi hai toh kya hua. Bahu toh hai na. Toh yeh ab se tumahara hai. Apne pass sambhal kar rakho. Aur muh dikhayi mein yeh joda aur jewellery pehna. Abhay ko bhi achha lagega."

("Child, only the children have the right to everything of the parents. If Didi had a daughter, I would have given all this to her. But if she didn't have any daughter then what happened. Daughters-in-law are the Daughter only. So it's yours from now on.  Keep it with you. And wear this outfit and jewellery in your Muh Dikhayi (a ritual where others see the face of the new bride for the first time) Abhay will also like it.")

She was still hesitant but nodded her head and took the heavy outfit and jewellery box to Abhay's room somehow managing it.

When she reached the living area, where Abhay was sitting with Ekansh, Sonali and Ekansh. He saw her balancing the heavy box with much difficulty. He ran to help her.

"Aap yeh kyu utha Rahi hai. Mujhe bula leti."

("Why are you picking this up. Should have called me.")

"Nhi. It's ok. Bas apke room tak hi le Jana tha."

("No. It's ok. Just had to take it to the room.")

"I'll take it to our room." He said stressing at the word 'our' and lifted the heavy box and walked towards his room. Everyone smiled seeing their gentleman She just followed him ignoring the way her heart skipped a beat listening to him. 

Reaching their room, He put both the boxes on the bed and turned around facing her who was standing with her head bowing.

"First of all, stand straight. You are not inferior to anyone here. Neither is anyone superior." He said looking at her and she immediately looked in his eyes.

"Achha, waise yeh hai kya." He asked about the boxes.

("Well, what is it?")

"Ji, yeh...umm dress aur jewellery hai. Muh dikhayi mein pehnne ke liye...." He nodded and walked towards the washroom. Then she completed her sentence. "...aapki mom ki."