E I G H T

- MY MJ -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

     Peter managed to get Liz out of the condominium just before any further damage could occur, the boy swinging her to her apartment and helped her inside through the window, doing it all in silence.

     She understood he'd need space, because she herself was devastated. This was his aunt. His last piece of family. She granted him that for the entirety of the way home, but as she was safely set back on her feet inside her living room, she had to make sure he was okay.

     He turned back towards the window with his head down and face long, about to climb back out but Liz stopped him with a hand on his shoulder.

     "Peter..." He didn't face her because he knew exactly what he'd be met with if he did. A look of empathy, and one that would evidently make him that much sadder.

     "I gotta go." He mumbled.

     She didn't let him climb out and instead stood in front of him before wrapping her arms around his neck.

     It took him a moment, but he loosely reciprocated the hug and let out a muffled cry against her shoulder.

     "It's not your fault." She said, the boy hugging her tighter as he shook his head.

     "Hey." She started, pulling away and holding his face in her hands, mustering up the best voice of comfort she could. "It's not your fault. Okay?"

     He nodded, clearly unable to accept her words, but figured he'd be stuck here a lot longer if he kept disagreeing.

     She didn't know what else to do for him, so she let him go and watched as he swung away.

     It's as if it only now hit her. Within the next couple minutes her breathing turned rigid and her hands were shaky, even the pain in her back was merely an itch as all she could think about was May's last breath and the last tear that rolled down her cheek.

     And no matter how unwilling she was, flashes of her last few minutes in her own universe came rolling in against her will...

     "...It hurts..." Her words were merely a whisper, her brows knitted together as the pain attacked every part of her body that she could still feel.

     "I know, I'm gonna get you some help. Just keep your eyes open. Keep your eyes on me." He couldn't help his voice from teetering on the edge of breaking down. She nodded, trying to find his hand, but she could barely lift a finger, let alone her arm.

     He noticed, grabbing her hand and holding it tightly, kissing her increasingly cold skin as he tried to contain the urge to cry.

     She smiled up at him offering maybe a little bit of comfort. It was weak but bright and beautiful as always.

     "I never liked heights..." She mumbled, wanting to laugh but couldn't.

He couldn't stop the tear that rolled down his cheek, Peter nodding his head in apology. "I know. I know, I'm so sorry."