Love and War

Vikram carried the injured soldier on his shoulders, to the medical tent at the base of the hill. Where a doctor moved the soldier to a makeshift Operation theatre nearby. Vikram sat down on a bench exhausted and feeling low having witnessed the loss of human lives in a war. His unshaven face, his bloody hands, deep sunken eyes bore a testimony to the toll that the war had taken on him. As he wiped the mud from his face, he heard a familiar gasp. Saanvi who had walked into the tent with medicines, stood frozen, taking in his appearance. It has been few days since he had left to serve in the war.

Vikram had not even spoken to her since he left for the war zone. Afterall Faizal had succeeded in creating chaos and keeping the Indian army busy with the human bombers, while the Pakistan Army had infiltrated their borders. Key areas on the Indian side were lost before the news of the attack had reached the relevant people and India declared war on Pakistan. Despite the might of the Indian army, the joint force of the Pakistan army and the militants was posing a huge challenge to them.

His lackluster eyes sparkled, on seeing her after many days, but still he admonished her gently "This is not the place for you. What are you doing here?"

She retorted "I volunteered as I am trained in First Aid. Also, I managed to decode the messages from Faizal. But it was just a list of numbers. I am trying to figure out what it means."

He crossed his arms in front of him, not happy that she had willingly put herself in danger.

That's when Saanvi noticed the wound on his arms. "Oh gosh! Hold still. Let me bandage that up."

As she cleaned the wound, she was so close that he could see that the dark circles around her eyes, her cheeks which had lost the chubbiness. His eyes watched her intently, determined to admire her as much as he could, just in case this was the last time he saw her. That's when he observed the ring on her ring finger. The ring that he gifted her.

He held her hand, looking at the ring and the feelings that he has pushed down in deep recesses of his heart lately, rose again. The feeling of immense love. Since the war began, in the conflict between his heart and mind, his heart was suppressed till now. Though He wanted her to get on with her life, it was apparent now that she was never going to move on. It warmed his heart that there was a soul who loved him so much.

Just then voices came over his walkie talkie, "Vikram Sir, you are required at Sector 4. Hostiles reported to be seen on 15/02 at coordinates 34.1990 N 74.3499 E"

When he immediately started to walk towards his jeep, Saanvi called him "Vikram Sir!"

He turned around, to find Saanvi rushing to him.

When she was close enough, she said "Can you tell my husband to stay safe."

Vikram raised his right eyebrow in surprise "Husband?"

She came up close to his face and whispered in a teasing tone "He works as a Major. He is quite tall and handsome. Very brave but can be little dumb at times, especially in matters related to love."

His eyes twinkled as he understood whom she was referring to. A hint of a smile played at the tip of his lips.

He came close to her ears and whispered, "Can you please tell my wife also, to stay safe."