House That Stands Still

Royal Lake

The ladies and the prince rode a large boat that accommodated them as well as the sweets prepared for them. "It's a good thing Sir Kirstein is with us", Arabella waved at the knight sitting behind Edel. "You look pale, Sir Kirstein? Are you not good with boats", Olivia asked. "Like motion sickness?", Arabella asked. Edel's eyes twitch feeling that his knight is stealing the show. "Greetings, Your Highness. It is an honor for us to be invited by you. As we all know, the list of candidates was prepared by His Majesty. What are your thoughts about it?", Sienna have her head bowed low. "Don't bow like a slave", the prince commanded. Sienna sat straight. Raziela could see her hands shaking.

In the Empire of the North, women are treated like slaves, even the nobles. They are only tools for expanding political power. They were not given any chance to have a voice in political decisions. They only learned nobility etiquette and nothing else. "As what my secretary told me, choosing a wife is tantamount to protecting the Empire. If I choose the wrong one, I'll be the cause of the downfall of this Empire which my predecessors passed down to my generation", Edel said with a serious tone.

"The reason why I called you is so that I'd get to know you. You cannot love what you do not know. Am I right, Sir Kirstein?", Edel recalled. The knight flinched.

He still remembered that conversation.

Edel looked back to see if she heard it and saw a smile. "You're right, Your Highness", she nodded. The prince saw Ciaran looking at him with a poker face from the shed not far from them. He cleared his throat and started asking the ladies.

Hobbies?

I usually tag along with my father to make medicine. The shop had received many clients because of His Majesty's generous commendations.

Since the mines had been busy and my brother was away, I was in charge of the negotiating when it came to the prices of the gem.

I spend my time in the royal physician's office. At times, I also help in patching some wounded trainees.

They're all a bunch of busy ladies and I robbed them of the time just for me to see who is fit to be my wife.

Raziela noticed the prince massaging his temple

Raziela noticed the prince massaging his temple. "Some tea? Your Highness?", the knight offered. "Should we also indulge ourselves with the sweets", Olivia invited. "Go ahead", Edel permitted. "I don't think I'm asking the right question. Even if I try to see who is more useful, they all seem to be capable", Edel said in a soft voice that only Raziela could hear. "Your Highness, just like you, they all didn't ask for this. I know you don't have all the time in this world to choose but finding someone you want to love doesn't happen overnight", the knight whispered.

 Edel watched the ladies appreciating the sweets and started commending each other's dress. "You're quite fortunate, Your Highness. If this were to be in another kingdom, they're already pushing each other in the water", Raziela pulled back and remained seated behind him. Edel just remained silenced and continued listening to the ladies. He wanted to ask why Raziela was still covering up with his brother's ditching of his work.