8

The three of us returned to Joel and i's run-down shitty early 2000s apartment. I open the door and chuck my backpack inside whilst instructing Ellie to go in. "Give us a minute, all right?" I say to the girl.

"What the fuck?!" she cracked it whilst I shut the door and stepped into the hallway with Joel.

"So, what's the plan?" he said.

"There's not a lot of options, there's the short way or the long way, The short way is pretty much a suicide mission.

"That leaves the long way." I nod at my husband. "We'll leave after dark."

"we're doing the right thing, right?" I asked.

"We need that battery y/n, this is the only way." he says "We get her to the state house, get the battery and we go find Tommy, okay?"

"okay" Joel kissed my forehead before we both went back inside our apartment.

"So, who are Bill and Frank? The radio's a smuggling code, right? '60s song, they don't have anything new, '70s, they got new stuff. What's '80s?" Ellie asked like a million questions.

"What are you guys doing?" Ellie asked as Joel and I went over to our sofa and laid down.

"Killin' time." Joel said

"Well, what am I supposed to do?"

"I'm sure you'll figure that out Ellie" I smiled at her before closing my eyes.

A few hours pass and I open my eyes

"You mumble in your sleep." Ellie says to joel

"he's done that for years"I say

"I've never been on the other side of the Wall, Look how dark it is.Do you guys go out there a lot?" she asked curiously.

"I guess" joel said.

"When was the last time?"

"Maybe a year. What's it matter?" Joel sighs

"But you know where to go. So we're gonna be okay?" Ellie asked

"We'll be fine Ellie" I give her a comforting smile "So, what's the deal with you anyway?, You some kinda bigwig's daughter or somethin'?"

"Something like that" she grins "Oh, the radio came on when you two were sleeping"

"What?" Joel and I say in unison "What was the song?"

"He kept sayin', like, "Wake me up before you go-go"?"

"Shit" Joel said as we both looked at each other.

"Gotcha! '80s means trouble. Code broken." Ellie smiles knowing she was right.

"Anyway, what's the deal with you two? you two married or something?" Ellie asked us.

"yeah we're married, 27 years and still going strong kid" Joel smiled looking at me

"awe that's sweet, did you guys have kids?" she asked

"uh no, we didn't" Joel lied.

"alright time to go, grab your jacket" I said getting up and grabbing my backpack and jacket, Joel did the same. The three of us left the building and made it outside, the speaker nearby repeated "Mandatory curfew to fight the infection and insurrection, Observe mandatory curfew to fight the infection and insurrection".

"holy shit. I'm actually outside." Ellie observed the area.

"Okay, we're gonna take the left edge around the buffer zone. You stay close and you follow my lead." I said to her.

"Yeah. Yeah, of course." she was definitely a little scared, but she listened to my instructions. we almost made it to the outer fence when we were met with a fedra soldier urinating around the corner.

"What the hell? Hey, hey! Don't, don't, don't move." he spotted us.

"Don't move!" he said zipping his trousers

"Okay, let's talk this out." I said

"Turn around!".

"Hold on..." Joel said

"Get on your fuckin' knees." he instructed "What did I fuckin' tell you, man? I said stay the fuck home."

"Listen, you let us do this run... we'll split the cards with you." I pleaded with him.

"Oh, will you?" he said.

"Yeah." I nodded

"I'm so blessed." he said sarcastically. "Hands on your head. Eyes forward."

"Really, man?" Joel huffed

"Yep. We're doin' this by the book."

"Jesus Christ." I sighed as he zapped my neck with the scanner, resulting in a green light. "All right. What about three-quarters?"

"Unauthorized exit. They'll hang you for that." I rolled my eyes as he spoke

"Fine. Everythin' off of this run, and half off on all of the pills."

"Half off? All off. Risk my job for half off. you're outta your fuckin' mind"

"don't speak to my wife like that!" Joel said to him.

"what are you gonna do, huh?" he said.

he scanned Ellie but in a matter of seconds Ellie screamed and stabbed the soldier in the thigh.

"Ellie!" I screamed

"Fuckin' bitch!" he groaned "Get out of the fuckin' way!" he pointed the gun at Ellie.

"Whoa, whoa! We can fix this." Joel yelled.

"Move." the guy said sternly, the next minute the soldier was on the ground getting a beating from Joel. punch after punch after punch, until he was dead.

i turned my head to look at Ellie when I saw a red light on the scanner laying on the ground.

"JOEL" My eyes widened as he looked over at me.

"No no I'm not sick!" Ellie screamed.

"Joel! Joel, Joel!" I panicked, backing away from Ellie to stand next to Joel.

"I am not sick! I'm not sick!, Look! Look! This is three weeks old."

"Nobody lasts more than a day!" Joel said.

"Does this look a day old to you?! You would've killed me!" Ellie yelled.

"I should fucking kill you!" I screamed "When did it happen?"

"It doesn't matter!" she said.

"it does matter!"

"it does so!"

"You have to trust me!"

"y/n they're gonna catch us if we don't run, y/n we gotta move. We gotta move" Joel says trying to get Ellie and I to stop arguing and just run.

We climbed through an opening on a wire fence onto the other side of the QZ, not knowing what was heading for us next.