3

I woke up to the sound of Sarah yelling "Mom!" and Jacob screaming and crying. i got up to run out to them as the house started rattling which sounded like a helicopter that was super low, sirens and dogs barking hysterically. I realised Joel wasn't back yet which worried me even more.

"Mom!" Sarah yelled as she ran to me

"Sweetheart, what's going on?"

"go look at the tv. And where is Dad?"

"he went to go get Uncle Tommy, I don't know why, can you go get your brother please?"

the tv read:

stay indoors, law enforcement and emergency services are in the area and will be in contact with further instructions.

what the hell was going on? a loud thud hit the back glass door which scared the crap out of me, I turned to see that it was Mercy, the Adler's dog.

"shh shh, easy mercy, easy" I patted him gently "What are you doing out here boy?" he barked "Come on let's get you home bud" I said. "Sarah, stay here with your brother, lock the door, ill be back" I said sternly "But-" she began to say. "Sarah, ill be back" I said grabbing Mercy by his collar and walking over to the adlers house

I began walking up the front porch steps but Mercy wouldn't budge, he whimpered and then ran back to my house "Mercy!" damn it.

"Mrs Adler?" I open the wire door as it was unlocked. I slowly walked down the hall carefully watching every step I took, until my eyes landed on a puddle of blood. I put my head up and I'm met with Mr Adler in the corner of the kitchen soaked in blood "Help me" he said as he slowly pointed to his left. my eyes met with a zombie-like Connie eating a dead mrs adler. I tried not to scream as she looked at me, I ran as fast as I could out of the house with the creature following me, I got to the front and was met with Joel, Tommy and his truck.

"JOEL" I screamed as Tommy directed me towards him whilst joel whacked Connie with a crowbar possibly killing her, I sobbed in fear as I watched everything happen.

"Where are the kids?" Joel quickly asked me

"inside" We both ran into the house grabbing them both "Get in the truck!" Joel gathered us in.

we took off as fast as we could, Joel hitting Connie in the process I covered my eyes as a sobbed quietly with Jacob tightly held in my arms.

"dad"

"We don't know Sarah" Joel sighed

"They're saying it's a virus. Some kind of parasite." Tommy said, at this point Jacob was crying too which was hard to calm him down.

"Are we sick? she asked

"No we're not sick, Sarah we're fine, I promise" Joel said

Tommy started to slow down which was odd. "Tommy, what are you doing?"

"they've got a kid" he said pointing to a family that was waving us down to stop

"and we've got two, keep driving, someone else will come along"

"Joel-" I said "I'm trying to protect us honey, please let me" Joel looked back at me

we made it onto the highway but were met with hundreds of other cars blocking every lane, obviously having the same idea that we had, trying to get out of there as fast as possible . "shit! everyone had the same idea" Tommy slams his hand on the steering wheel. "it's alright, it's fine" I said. "take the field." Joel pointed over to the right. "We cut across and we pick up on the, on the west side." we held onto anything we could as Tommy drove through the field of grass "fuckin army, goddamn it " "Isn't that good?" Sarah asked quietly "It's good for them, but that's the highway we're tryin' to get to."

"All right, keep movin'. Head north." Joel directed Tommy. "Could be a lot of people." I said

"Well, we can't go south, we can't go east, we can't go west." Joel looked around. "Hell else we supposed to go?" Tommy hesitated and stopped the car trying to figure out a plan. "Tommy, come on!" I yelled. the tires screeched as Tommy put his foot down.

we made it across the field and now we were driving through a chaotic town with people screaming and running for their lives, there was glass shattering, people screaming, and cars screeching and honking, we stopped as we couldn't get through because of the number of people who were In front and behind us.

"Tommy don't stop!" I yelled "Are you crazy?! I can't drive through em y/n" Tommy yelled back. "JUST GO!" I screamed at him. "Mom? look" Sarah said in a panicked tone and pointed to a plane that was coming down real fast in our direction. "HOLY SHI-" I began but before I could finish my sentence everything went black.