7

"Joel" I tapped his shoulder, damn he's a deep sleeper. "JOEL" I yelled finally waking him up.

"Come on, we've gotta get going, I've got the location where Robert is meeting us" I said as he gets up to get ready.

"Where?" He asks. "Some fucked up apartment complex" he nods.

"Lily? You ready?" I knocked on her door. "Yeah, coming!" She said and came out a few minutes later.

"alright let's go" we were all ready and made our way to the location.

We snuck through areas of the QZ and made it underground.

"this is the one" I said pointing the the door, Joel and lily followed.

I went through first, then lily.

"OH MY GOD" she screamed noticing a well gone infected attached to the wall.

"Jesus lily, you scared me" Joel said coming in gun in hand.

"I'm sorry, I just wasn't expecting that" lily said. "You think he came down after he was infected?" she asked.

"Well, maybe down here is where he was infected." I sighed while looking over at Joel.

"Let's keep movin'." He said.

We climbed up the ladder and found the door we needed to get through but something was in the way.

"So, this... this opens into the ha-hallway." I attempt to push the door. "What the fuck? Someone put a piano in front of this?"

"you guys smell that?" Lily asks.

"gunpowder" Joel and I say in sync.

"uh guys" lily says pointing to the bottom of the door. Blood was dripping through.

Joel kicked the door through revealing a body in front of the door and many others scattered throughout the hallway.

The body that was in front of the door, was Robert. With the truck battery sitting beside him. "Well, the battery's no good. And he still tried to sell it. Twice. you greedy fuck." I say.

"You hear that?" Lily asked, hearing grunts and wincing coming from down the hall.

2 individuals appeared and we all had our guns ready. And a young girl ran out of a room with a knife in her hand going for us. But Joel tripped her and she fell.

"Joel? Y/N?" The woman holding her gun in one hand and the other clutching her bleeding stomach asked.

"Marlene?" Joel said.

"Ellie, you okay? You can't be stupid like that" Marlene said to the young girl.

"So this is who Robert screwed us over with? The Che Guevara of Boston? I mean, war must be goin' pretty shitty for you to be buying from scumbags like him." I said to Marlene.

"Yeah it kinda has been" she said. "The merch was bad, and he obviously didn't take "fuck off" for an answer."

"Gimme my knife back" Ellie said to Joel who had his foot on her knife.

"What do you need a car battery for?" Joel asks Marlene, but Ellie goes for her knife and Joel points his gun at her.

"Not at her. Point it at me. And to answer your question, I need it for a better reason than you do. No offense, but Tommy's just one man. It's our business to know things."

"To know things? You're the cause of it. You turned Joel's own brother against him" I said.

"That was a lot of gun fire, fedras gonna be on their way Marlene" Kim said. "I know"

"We were gonna move Ellie outta the zone tonight. But we won't make it anywhere like this. Not for a while anyway. So now I'm thinkin'... you're gonna do it." Marlene says.

"The hell we are" Joel says. "Nope not happening" I say.

"I'm not going with them!" Ellie says.

"Who is she?" Lily asks

"To you? She's cargo." Marlene says

"We don't smuggle people. Sorry" Joel says

"There's a team of Fireflies waiting for her at the old State House. I know what's out there. We were going with an entire squadron for that very reason. But now I don't have a truck, I don't have a squadron, FEDRA's five minutes away. What I do have is you. And I know what you're both capable of. For better or worse." Marlene explains.

"What are they capable of?" Ellie looks at us all.

"You get her there safely, and they'll give you what you need. Not just a battery. The whole thing. Fueled-up truck, guns, supplies, all of it." Marlene says and Joel and I look at each other.

"You trust her?" Joel asks me "No, but she seems desperate" I say.

"Firefly vehicle usually means repurposed FEDRA stuff. So better-than-decent chance makin' it to Tommy in one of those." Joel tells me.

"okay, here's the deal. We'll get her to your crew at the State House. But before we hand her over, they give us everything that we want. If not, we kill her, there and then." I tell Marlene.

"Deal" she says.

"Really? That fast?" Ellie asks Marlene.

"You are all that matters. My team will not jeopardize that. Remember what I told you?Now go get your backpack. Now, Ellie." Marlene instructs Ellie.

Ellie gets her backpack and waits for us to lead the way.

"Let's go." Joel says.

"Joel... don't fuck this up. Please." Marlene sighs.

what the fuck did we just agree to do?