Chapter 10 - Dark Island

"So, what do you think is in there?" Tavros asked, as the Dawn Treader was headed straight towards Dark Island.
"Our worst nightmares."
"Our darkest wishes."
"Pure evil."
"Tavros, unlock the armory," ordered Drinian.
"My lord," responded Tavros, nodding.

"Archers, prepare yourselves!" shouted Drinian.
"Aye, Captain!" some of the crew unanimously replied.
"Light the lanterns!" commanded Tavros.
"Let's get ready," said Caspian, turning to Edmund, Y/N and Lucy.

**********

Y/N had just finished putting on her armour, when she realised she didn't have a sword. Ever since their visit to Goldenwater Island, Y/N had been using the sword of Lord Restimar. His sword was one she was much more suited to, since it was made a long time ago and was very similar to her old sword from the Golden Age - as opposed to one of Caspian's spare, more modern swords, which she was using before they had reached Goldenwater Island. Now that she had left Lord Restimar's sword at Aslan's Table, she supposed she would have to go back to using one of Caspian's spares.

She walked to Caspian's cabin and knocked on the door, calling out that it was her. When Caspian gave his permission for her to enter, she did. Edmund and Caspian were also ready in their armour, and seemed to be in the middle of a conversation that Y/N had accidentally interrupted.

It was then that Y/N noticed that Caspian was picking up Peter's sword and walking towards Edmund.
"Use this," he said, making Edmund turn to face him.
"But it's-"
"Peter would want you to have it," said Caspian.
Y/N smiled as Edmund clasped the sheath, taking it from Caspian.

"Sorry, Y/N, but you'll have to make do with this," Caspian chuckled, tossing Y/N the sword she had been using earlier, "I'm afraid Peter's only got one sword."
Y/N laughed and said, "Don't worry, I've had my share of turns using Peter's sword. And they've all served me well."

**********

"No matter what happens here," began Caspian, addressing the crew, "every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader. Together we have travelled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world - Our Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

"For Narnia!" Tavros chanted, and so followed everyone else.
In a moment, a flood of memories rushed through Y/N's mind. She thought back to the first time she had ever heard that chant - it had been shouted by Peter, during the First Battle of Beruna. That was Y/N's first battle ever. It seemed crazy to think that this one would probably be her last.

Y/N looked up to where Eustace was flying, with Reepicheep on his head, and smiled. She had definitely grown fond of Edmund and Lucy's cousin - he had gone through some real character development (both figuratively and literally). In a way, Eustace was not too different from Edmund the first time he visited Narnia. But of course, she would never mention that idea to Edmund.

As the Dawn Treader entered the large cave that Dark Island seemed to be, everyone was immediately blinded by a thick fog. The lanterns on the ship looked like dim, distant Christmas lights. And then, almost imperceptibly, the green mist blended in with the fog and swooped low over the deck.

"I can't see a thing. This fog's too thick," muttered Drinian.
But Drinian's voice faded away as a shriller, more sinister voice pierced Y/N's ears.
"Y/N," the voice whispered, and Y/N turned around to find the face of the White Witch floating in front of her, in the form of a green mist, "Come with me, Y/N, and we can finish off Aslan together. He doesn't really have a plan for you. Don't you want to be able to live here in Narnia with the Pevensies? Just like your Golden Age."

The White Witch's words together with her silky voice were a deadly combination - so much so that Y/N almost gave in.
"Don't you want to see Peter and Susan again? I know they're dying to see you. Just help me get rid of Aslan and I can give you all you want and more. All you have to do is trust me."
That last part seemed to flip a switch in Y/N's brain. She shook her head and fell out of her trance.
"Sorry, but the last time someone trusted you, it ended with a broken spear in my abdomen. And that actually took a long time to heal, so I didn't really appreciate that."
And just like that, the White Witch faded in front of Y/N's eyes.

"No!" Edmund shouted from a few feet away - and although he was facing another direction, Y/N knew he had been talking to the White Witch too.
"Edmund," Lucy called, "Are you alright?"
Edmund gave Y/N a side glance, because he knew that she had definitely had an encounter with the White Witch too.
When Y/N just smiled and nodded, Edmund turned to Lucy and answered, "Yeah."

"Keep away!" a distant voice shouted suddenly, "Keep away!"
"Who's there?" Edmund yelled, as the Dawn Treader sailed closer to the source of the sound.
"We do not fear you!" shouted Caspian.
"Nor I you!" the voice shot back.
Edmund grabbed his torch and pointed it to where the voice was coming from. As the ship reached a large rock, they realised that the voice belonged to a stranded, old man.

"Keep away!" the man shouted once more.
"We will not leave," said Caspian.
"You will not defeat me!" the man said, holding up a long, silver sword.
"Caspian. Caspian, his sword," said Y/N.
Caspian looked at the man a little closer, until he finally recognised him and called out, "Lord Rhoop!"

As Caspian began to walk closer to the edge of the ship, Lord Rhoop began to back away at the same pace.
"You do not own me!" the lord continued his cries.
"Stand down," Caspian ordered the archers, who were all poised and ready to fire, "Let's get him on board, quickly."
Eustace suddenly flew out of the fog behind Lord Rhoop, and scooped him up to carry him on to the ship.

"Be calm, my Lord," said Caspian, once Lord Rhoop was safely standing on the deck.
"Off me, demon!" commanded Lord Rhoop.
"No, my Lord. We are not here to hurt you. I am your king, Caspian."
"Caspian?" whispered Lord Rhoop, his face suddenly exiting its previous maniacal state, "My Lord! You should not have come! There's no way out of here. Quickly, turn this ship about before it's too late!"
"We have the sword. Let's go!" said Edmund.

"Let's turn her about, Drinian."
"Aye, aye, Your Majesty."

"Do not think!" Lord Rhoop suddenly said, "Do not let it know your fears, or it will become them."
"Oh, no," said Edmund, an apologetic look on his face.
"Edmund, what did you just think of?" asked Lucy.
"Oh, I'm sorry," said Edmund, rushing to the other edge of the ship.
Everyone carefully looked down at the water, following Edmund's gaze, where a large boulder suddenly unfolded and submerged itself.