Chapter 2 - The Dawn Treader

Edmund stepped out of the hatch and looked around. He had been given new clothes to wear, as his old ones were soaked.
"Much better," said Caspian, as Edmund walked up to him.
"Ready, girls?" Edmund called out to Y/N and Lucy, who were walking down the steps from the flying bridge.
"Ah!" exclaimed Caspian, "Excuse me, lads, I don't suppose you've seen two young girls around here anywhere?"
"Alright!" Y/N said, hitting Caspian softly on the arm.

The four of them followed Caspian into his cabin. He pushed open the doors, which Edmund shut behind them, once they were all in.
"Aslan," Lucy said, smiling, as she looked at a gold plate with Aslan's face engraved on it.
It looked familiar to Y/N, but she couldn't remember where or when she'd seen it before. She looked around for a bit, random little elements in the room making her smile. 
"Oh, that smile," thought Edmund, "How I've missed it."
"Look," said Lucy suddenly, "Susan's bow and arrows."

"Lucy," called Caspian, holding out a small, wooden box for her.
"My healing cordial," gasped Lucy, "and dagger. May I?"
"Of course," said Caspian, "They're yours."
"Peter's sword," said Edmund from across the room.
"Yes. I looked after it as promised," Caspian spoke, making his way towards the sword, "Here, hold it if you wish."
"No, no, it's yours," said Edmund, "Peter gave it to you."

Y/N could tell, just from his tone, that there was more behind Edmund's words than he let on.
"I did save this for you, though," said Caspian, unlatching a cabinet and bringing out a big, silver torch.
It was Edmund's torch. He must have left it behind last time.
Caspian tossed the torch to Edmund, who caught it with a, "Thanks."
There was a knock on the door and every head turned in its direction.
"Come in," called Caspian.
The door opened and Drinian came in, greeting, "Your Majesties."
The four of them nodded at him, before moving towards Caspian's desk.

"Since you left us, the Giants of the North have surrendered unconditionally," said Caspian, pointing at a map that lay rolled out, "Then we defeated the Calormen armies at the Great Desert. There's peace across all of Narnia."
"Peace?" asked Y/N, both surprised and impressed.
"In just three years," responded Caspian.
"And have you found yourself a queen in those three years?" asked Lucy, tucking a string of hair behind her ear.
Y/N was puzzled by Lucy's behaviour, but brushed it off.

"No," answered Caspian, "Not one to compare with your sister."
"Hang on. So if there are no wars to fight, and no one's in trouble, then why are we here?" asked Edmund, changing the topic.
"That's a good question. I've been asking myself the same thing," said Caspian.
"So where are we sailing to?" asked Y/N.
"Before I took back the throne from my uncle, he tried to kill my father's closest friends and most loyal supporters," explained Caspian, looking towards seven portrait sketches, "The seven lords of Telmar. They fled to the Lone Islands. No one has heard from them since."

"So you think something has happened to them?" asked Edmund.
"Well, if it has, it's my duty to find out," replied Caspian.
"Well, what's east of the Lone Islands?" asked Lucy.
"Uncharted waters," said Drinian, "Things you can barely imagine. Tales of sea serpents and worse."
"Sea serpents?" said Edmund, as if the mere idea was ridiculous - yet there was some nervousness lingering in his voice.
"Alright, Captain," said Caspian, munching on an apple, "That's enough of your tall tales."

Edmund and Y/N were given swords, and Lucy took her cordial and dagger, before they left the cabin with Caspian. Lucy ran up to the bow of the ship, while Edmund and Y/N stayed in their slow pace. Suddenly, a thought entered Y/N's head.
"Hey, Ed," she said cheekily.
Edmund turneed around with a puzzled look, once he saw the smirk on Y/N's face.
"Think fast!" said Y/N, drawing out her sword and pointing it at him.

But Edmund, who knew his wife so well, was prepared and blocked with ease. The crew seemed to take interest in this and stopped their workk to watch. Edmund and Y/N moved back and forth, swinging their swords at each other. It was like a dance - they were both so graceful and in sync with one another. The clashing of metal and the crew's cheers boosted Y/N's adrenaline and she whipped her sword forward. Edmund dodged it and met her sword with his and the duel was over in a draw. And it was no wonder too. Edmund and Y/N had always been known as the best swordspeople in Narnia. The only people they couldn't beat were each other.

The crew cheered and applauded loudly, until Drinian called out, "Alright! Back to work!"
"Your Majesties," a man said, offering Edmund and Y/N two cups of water.
"Thank you," they replied in unison.
They walked over to Lucy, who was standing nearby, leaning against the side of the ship.
"Edmund, Y/N, do you think if we keep sailing to the end of the world, we'll just...tip off the edge?" asked Lucy.
"Don't worry, Lu, we're a long way from there," said Edmund.
"I see you're still talking nonsense, the two of you," said Eustace, stepping out of the hatch.

"Are you feeling better?" asked Lucy sweetly.
"Yes, no thanks to you," answered Eustace, "It's lucky I have an iron constitution."
Y/N cleared her throat, signalling that Edmund hadn't introduced her to the boy.
"Oh, right. Y/N, this is our cousin, Eustace," said Edmund, making a face at the name of his cousin.
"And Eustace, this is Y/N," Edmund paused and smirked, before saying, "my wife."
"Your wife?!" exclaimed Eustace, making Y/N giggle.
She held out her hand for Eustace to shake, but retrieved it once Eustace ignored the action.

"As effervescent as ever, I see," said Reepicheep, climbing down the rope towards them, "Find your sea legs?"
"Never lost them," Eustace retorted immediately, "Simply dealing with the shock of things."
Edmund pulled another face at Eustace.
"Mother says I have an acute disposition, due to my intelligence," continued Eustace, causing Edmund to spit his water back into his cup.
"I don't think he has a cute anything," said Reepicheep, and Y/N and Lucy giggled.

"I'll have you know, as soon as we find civilisation, I'm contacting the British Consul. Have you all arrested for kidnapping," shouted Eustace.
Although Edmund was constantly irritated at his cousin, Y/N couldn't help but find Eustace's behaviour quite amusing.
"Kidnapping, is it?" asked Caspian, "That's funny. I thought we saved your life."
"You held me against my will!" said Eustace.
"Did I?" said Caspian.
"In what, I must say, are the most unhygienic quarters. It's like a- like a zoo down there."

"He's quite the complainer, isn't he?" remarked Reepicheep.
"He's just warming up," said Edmund.
"Land ho!" shouted a voice suddenly.