Chapter 9 - The Blue Star

"Everybody!" Lucy shouted, waking the crew up, "Everybody, wake up! It's the blue star!"
And, sure enough, not too far off in the distance ahead shone the brightest, blue-est star Y/N had ever seen. The crew quickly scrambled to their feet and headed to the boat.
"I don't think it can fit all of us," Lucy pointed out.
Eustace just shook out his wings and lowered his back, as if to say, "Climb on, I can help with that."

**********

"The wind has left us," said Drinian, as he, Edmund, Y/N and Caspian stood on the main deck, looking up at the folded sail.
"So, how do we get to Ramandu's Island now, then?" asked Edmund.
"My guess is something doesn't want us to get there," was all Drinian replied, walking away.
Edmund looked a little irritated by Drinian's constant pessimistic comments, which Y/N noticed by his expression, and said, "He's just worried about his crew. It's perfectly-"

She was cut off by the Dawn Treader suddenly jerking, as if it collided into something, knocking everybody off their feet.
"Eustace, that's brilliant!" Edmund excalimed.
Y/N looked up and smiled when she saw that Eustace had hooked his tail onto the dragon head of the prow of the ship. The crew cheered and applauded, returning to the high spirits that had been missing for some time now.

**********

The crew had finally reached Ramandu's Island. Some of them stayed on the Dawn Treader, but the others took a couple of boats to get closer to the land. It was very dark by the time they set foot on the island - and the rustling of the trees and siren-like chirping of the birds did not make the experience any less creepy. Edmund's torch surprisingly seemed to shed enough light on the surrounding statues and ruins to make their details visible. Y/N wondered how much brighter her own phone torch would be; conveniently, she never seemed to have it on her whenever she travelled to Narnia. As the crew travelled under a final arch, they reached a dead-end, but not before they came across a dining table spread with a glorius meal.

Fruit, meat, pudding - it was everything Y/N had been craving for the last few weeks! But that's exactly what made it so suspicious.
"Wait," Drinian said to the crew, sticking his arm out, saying exactly what Y/N was thinking.
Suddenly, Edmund gasped at something situated at the other end of the table. Caspian, Y/N, Lucy and Drinian were quick to draw their swords. As they all moved closer to where Edmund was standing, they got a closer look at where his torch was pointed. Covered in vines and branches sat three men, seemingly dead.
"Lord Revilian," announced Caspian, his sword pointing to the crest on one of the men's rings.
He revealed that the other two were Lord Mavramorn and Lord Argoz. Lucy suddenly gasped and backed away from Lord Argoz, and that's when Y/N made an astonishing discovery.
"He's breathing," Y/N murmured, not believing it herself.
"So are they," said Edmund, pointing to the other two.

Their unconscious states reminded Y/N of Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter when Hermione Granger used the 'Petrificus Totalus' curse on him.
But of course, if Y/N said that aloud, she would sound like an idiot, so she only said, "They're under a spell."
"It's the food!" Caspian shouted, and one of the minotaurs dropped an apple he was just about to take a bite out of.

"Hey!" Edmund called out, bringing the crew's attention to him once more, "It's the stone knife! This is Aslan's Table!"
"Their swords," Caspian said.
Y/N caught on and reached through the thick vines to grab the swords of Lord Argoz and Lord Mavramorn. Caspian took Lord Revilian's.
"On the table," Caspian commanded.
They laid all the swords they had collected so far on Aslan's table, on top of one another, all pointed outwards, like a star.
"That's six," Edmund counted.
"Still missing one," said Y/N.

The six swords began to shine a bright blue, just like the blue star the crew had followed to this very island.
"Look!" Lucy called suddenly.
Right above their heads was the very same blue star, slowly descending towards them. When the luminescent orb reached eye-level, it started to transform into and even more beautiful woman, still shining as brilliant as before. She reminded Y/N of a mix of the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio and Helena Ravenclaw from Harry Potter.

"Travelers of Narnia, welcome," she said, her voice sounding like the most delicate thing to ever be handled.
The crew of the Dawn Treader - except for Edmund, Y/N, Lucy and Caspian - bowed down before the woman.
"Arise," her gentle voice spoke, "Are you not hungry?"
"Who are you?" asked Y/N.
"I'm Liliandil, daughter of Ramandu. I'm your guide," she replied.
"You're a star?" asked Caspian, who seemed to be completely bewitched by Liliandil's appearance.
Liliandil nodded softly.
"You are most beautiful," said Caspian, his voice as enchanted as his face.

"If it is a distraction for you, I can change form," Liliandil said.
"No!" shouted Caspian - and Edmund.
Y/N, elbowed Edmund softly and glared at him - even Caspian shot Edmund an annoyed look. Edmund just played it off with a cheesy grin.
"Please," said Liliandil, "The food is for you."
She made a small gesture with her hands and the candelabra that were placed at regular intervals on the table lit their wicks, "There is enough for all who are welcome at Aslan's Table. Always. Help yourselves."

"Wait!" yelled Edmund, pointing to the unconscious lords, "What happened to them?"
"These poor men were half-mad by the time they reached our shores," answered Liliandil, "They were threatening violence upon each other. Violence is forbidden at the Table of Aslan. So they were sent to sleep."
"Will they ever wake?" asked Lucy.
"When all is put right. Come, there is little time," Liliandil beckoned the kings and queens.
Y/N followed Liliandil and the others, but not before grabbing a large cupcake off the table for herself - and then another for Edmund, because he took a bite out of the first one, and Y/N knew that he wasn't going to stop there.

**********

"The magician, Coriakin, told you of the Dark Island?" asked Liliandil.
"Yes," replied Caspian.
Edmund, Y/N, Lucy, Caspian and Liliandil gazed out over the sea at the familiar black lump of an island that they had seen earlier on Coriakin's map.
"Before long, the evil will be unstoppable," said Liliandil.
"Coriakin said to break it's spell," explained Caspian, "when we lay the seven swords at Aslan's Table."
"He speaks the truth," Liliandil said, nodding.

"But we only found six," said Edmund.
"Do you know where the - mmph - the seventh is?" Y/N asked Liliandil, swallowing a bite of her cupcake.
Susan would not be pleased with this kind of etiquette if she was here.
Liliandil just pointed ahead to the Dark Island and said, "In there. You will need great courage."
"Now, waste no time," said Liliandil.
"I hope we meet again," said Caspian softly to Liliandil.
Liliandil just smiled sweetly and said goodbye, before transforming back into an orb of light and shooting into the sky.

"Great," Y/N thought, "So our last adventure in Narnia is going to be a suicide mission."
But Y/N had been through suicide missions before. She had walked right into the heart of an army of giants once. Hell, she had jumped in the way of the White Witch's broken scepter, knowing full well it would kill her right then and there. She wasn't going to be frightened off now just because of some pesky green mist.