Chapter 1 - Back in Narnia

2022

"Come on, Y/N. Don't spend all your time in the water!" Y/N's friend called out to her.
"In a bit," answered Y/N.

Y/N had had the worst year ever. Ever since she returned from Narnia, she distanced herself from everyone. She would stay in her room for days on end. The tiniest things would set her off and she would snap at people. She stopped talking much and would only speak when absolutely necessary. All of this started to take a toll on her family and friends, who, after a few months, collectively decided that she should see a therapist. After much refusal, she agreed, hoping it eould do her some good, though she highly doubted it. Her therapist suggested that visiting the seaside weekly would help clear her head. But, just as Y/N suspected, it only made her feel  worse, as it reminded her of the beach that Cair Paravel overlooked.

She was presently at the beach with a friend. A friend who found the sand far more engrossing than the water, which Y/N opposed. Y/N remembered how she and the Pevensies would always splash about in the water after a long day. The Pevensies. Just the thought of them saddened her. And she was mad at herself for that. She didn't want them to be a bad memory. If anything, they should bring her joy. 

"At least I'll see Ed and Lu again," Y/N thought, trying to cheer herself up.
Just then, she felt something pulling at her leg. She looked around to find that she was further from the shore than she thought - she must've wandered too far. The water now reached her waist. Y/N tried pulling her leg out of...whatever it was that was holding it. That was when she realised that it wasn't stuck in something - it was being pulled by a current! Before she could register what was happening, the current dragged her along and she had already travelled a couple of metres or so. Y/N called out for help, but the current forced her head into the water.

Just a few seconds later, Y/N was able to whip her head out of the water. As soon as she did, the current disappeared completely. Confused, Y/N turned around. The beach was nowhere in sight. In fact, she couldn't anything except the sea - and a very large ship.

1942

"Do you think I'll look anything like Susan?" Lucy asked, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, her eyes fixed on the mirror in front of her.
Edmund sighed. He was sitting on the bed in the room that Lucy was given during their stay at their cousin's house. Miserable. That's how he felt. This whole year had been simply miserable. Another long break from Y/N was too much to handle. And on top of that, he was forced to stay at Cambridge with his aunt and uncle. 
"Lucy," he said, getting off the bed, "have you seen this ship before?"
"Yes. It's very Narnian-looking, isn't it?" Lucy replied, tearing her gaze from the mirror and planting it on the painting that Edmund was talking about.
Edmund grunted, "Yeah. Well, just another reminder that we're here and not there."

"There once were two orphans who wasted their time, believing in Narnian nursery rhymes," said Edmund and Lucy's cousin, Eustace, from the doorway.
"Please let me hit him," said  Edmund, taking a step forward.
"No!" said Lucy, pulling his arm back.
"Don't you ever knock?" asked Edmund.
"It's my house," answered Eustace, "I'll do as I please. You're just guests. What's so fascinating about that picture anyway? It's hideous."
"You won't see it from the other side of the door," said Edmund snarkily.

Eustace pulled a face at the back of his cousin's head.
"Edmund, it looks like the water's actually moving," said Lucy.
"What rubbish!" Eustace scoffed, "See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairytales of yours."
"There once was a boy called Eustace," said Edmund, "who read books full of facts that were useless."
Lucy giggled.
"People who read fairytales are always the sort that become a hideous burden to people like me, who readd books of real information," said Eustace.
Edmund whipped his head around.
"Hideous burden? I haven't seen you lift a finger since we've been here. I have the right mind to tell your father it was you who stole Aunt Alberta's sweets."
"Liar!" declared Eustace.

"Oh, really?" said Edmund, raising an eyebrow.
"Edmund, the painting!" said Lucy suddenly.
Edmud didn't hear her and continued, "I found them under your bed, and you know what? I licked every one of them."
"Eugh! I'm infected with you!" exclaimed Eustace.

Meanwhile, the painting, which portrayed a vast sea and a tall ship, was spritzing out water. It was as if the sea was trying to escape. Lucy gasped, as the water began to spill out of the painting, catching the boys' attention.
"What's going on here?" Eustace asked.
"Lucy, do you think-" started Edmund.
"It's some kind of trick!" Eustace cut him off, "Stop it or I'll tell mother. Mother! Mother!"

The painting kept flowing.
"I'll just smash the rotten thing," decided Eustace, making his way towards the painting.
Edmund and Lucy tried to pull him back and get the frame out of his hands, and in all the chaos, the frame fell to the floor and the room began to fill with water. Edmund, Lucy and Eustace gasped for breath and looked around for things to hold on to, as the water level rose quickly. Soon, the room was completely filled with water. And then, there was no room at all. Edmund, Lucy and Eustace swam to the surface to find that the were in the middle of an ocean. The sun was shining brightly above, as the three of them gasped for breath. 

Edmund rubbed the water from his eyes and turned around to see another person. It couldn't be. But it had to.
"Y/N?" he called out.
The person turrned around in a flash.
"Edmund!" Y/N exclaimed, swimming as fast as she could to reach him.
Once she did, the two hugged eacch other tightly.
But they were interrupted by a loud, "Eustace, swim!"

Edmund and Y/N turned around to see the ship getting closer, and followed Lucy and Eustace away from it.
"What's going on?" Eustace shrieked.
A few men dove into the water from the ship. The four children tried to swim away quickly, but the men caught up to them.
"It's alright! I've got you," said a voice suddenly.
"Caspian!" Lucy exclaimed, recognising the man.
"Lucy!" said Caspian.
"Edmund, it's Caspian," shouted Lucy, who still hadn't noticed Y/N.
"It's alright. You're safe now," said another man.

"Are we in Narnia?" asked Edmund.
Honestly, Y/N thought the question was silly, but Casian answered, "Yes, you're in Narnia."
Edmund and Y/N followed Caspian and Lucy back to the ship, while Eustace needed a little help and convincing. Lucy and Caspian got on the lift plank, before it was sent down again for Edmund and Y/N.

"That was thrilling!" exclaimed Lucy.
"How in the world did you end up here?" Caspian asked.
"I have no idea," admitted Lucy.
"Caspian!" said Edmund.
"Edmund!" greeted Caspian, but before anyone knew what was happening, Lucy ran to Y/N and enveloped her in a hug.

"It's great to see you to, Lu," chuckled Y/N, hugging back.
"Didn't you call for us?" Edmund asked Caspian.
"No.  Not this time," said Caspian.
"Well, whatever the case, we're just glad to be here," said Edmund.

They were interrupted by a loud shriek.
"Get that thing off me! Get that thing off me!" Eustace cried out.
Y/N didn't recognise the boy, but found the scene sort of amusing. 
Eustace waved his arms around and Reepicheep - who was standing on the boy - was launched off of him.
"Reepicheep!" Lucy exclaimed.
"Oh. Your Majesties," said Reepicheep, bowing.
"Hello, Reep. What a pleasure," said Edmund.
"The pleasure is all mine, Sir," replied Reepicheep, "But first, what to do about this- this hysterical interloper?"

"That giant rat thing just tried to claw my face off!" Eustace shouted, pointing at Reepicheep.
"I was merely trying to expel the water from your lungs, Sir," said Reepicheep.
Eustace stumbled back and breathed out, "It talked! Did you see- Did anyone just hear that? It just talked!"
"He always talks," said one of the crew members.
"Actually, it's getting him to shut up that's the trick," said Caspian.
"The moment there is nothing to be said, Your Highness, I promise you, I will not say it," said Reepicheep.

"I don't know what kind of prank this is, but I want to wake up right now!" yelled Eustace.
"Perhaps we could throw him back?" suggested Reepicheep.
Edmund didn't answer and stared at Eustace, as if he were actually contemplating the idea.
"Edmund!" Lucy scolded.
"I demand to know just where in the blazes am I?!" Eustace cried.
"You're on the Dawn Treader, the finest ship in Narnia's navy," responded a minotaur.
But Eustace passed out at the sight of him, much to the crew's hilarity. Y/N laughed too, but she did pity Eustace a little.
"Was it something I said?" the minotaur asked Caspian.
"See to him, will you?" Caspian told him, to which he nodded.

"Men!" said Caspian, catching the crew's attention, "Behold our castaways. Edmund the Just, Y/N the Benevolent and Lucy the Valiant. High King and Queens of Narnia."