16.

~Garrison~

I left boot camp early due to an upset stomach. I decided to be different today and get some extra shit in my smoothie that I don't think is sitting well with my system.

But before I left, I had an eye opening conversation with Jabari.

I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with him and Kyler. But they've been acting different. Today I just tried to make conversation to see how he'd react when Kyler isn't around.

I take a seat next to him.

"So my girl is always keeping yours away from you huh?"

He looks confused for a second and then laughs.

"Yeah, she is. But it's cute though, I don't mind it, it's nice when she feels good after her little girl dates.  She's nice to me. Not that she ever isn't, but just more talkative, more giddy and soft. I get my time with her still."

I nod smiling as I think on it.

"Yeah, well they together right now so maybe you'll get a massage out the deal tonight."

He just nods.

"Maybe."

We get to balling and then Jabari dashes off the court and to the corner entrance and I get a glimpse of a woman but I can't see her face.

Jabari takes a pair of shoes from her and then kisses her. It's Eli. Does that mean Sam is here too?

"Sorry fellas. I had my baby bring my new shoes that drop in a few days. I want to break them in to play in them tomorrow."

"You good." Kyler tells him. "Let me see 'em."

They are dark green with white, gold, and black. The "Bari One's".

"Damn those fresh. My girl was just telling me this kind of green is her favorite color. Like that deep emerald green. She said her dream wedding ring is that color."

Sam's favorite color is green too, I think. She never really makes a big of it.

"Since when you got a girl Ky?" Another one of our teammates, Jacob, asks smirking. "She an IG Baddie too?"

"Nah, she low key. We chilling."

"Mhmm." Jabari shakes his head and moves to the bench to change his shoes.

"Nah, not if she dropping hints like that. Her wedding ring color. She trying to be wifey. Watch out for that."

"Nah, I'm straight. Thanks though."

About half an hour later I get back to the locker room and text her.

Baby wyd?

Still with Eli. We just came back from the mall.

So either they came here on their way back from the mall and she stayed in the car with the kids, or she's lying to me. But why would she lie to me?

That shit doesn't make sense. Plus it's her time of the month so even if she was lying to me, what the fuck could she be doing? She's probably out drinking her little alcoholic ass off and doesn't want me to know. She don't think I know she's been heavy handed with the liq lately.

And because of my behavior, I can't even blame her.

~Kyler~

Sam is not here but she left the light and tv on. And the bed unmade meaning maybe she was coming back. But I've been home for hours.

Did I hurt her feelings? Saying what I said. I felt like it was harsh when I said it but I just couldn't stop myself.

Damn I'm dumb as fuck. I ain't mean to be a dickhead. Fuck. I want to call her, but what if she went back home? She's not stupid. She doesn't have me saved as me I'm sure. And we keep shit clean in our texts just in case.

I'm not going to lie. She's so much smarter than my ex when it comes to this shit. I have to wonder if she's cheated before? If I'm just another one, the most recent?

I tell myself fuck it and call, but it goes straight to voicemail after two rings.  Not immediately. Meaning she's ignoring my calls.

I text her.

Hey, call me when you get a min.

I keep it simple.

Nothing. For hours.

I manage to doze off for maybe an hour when my phone goes off. It's Jabari.

I answer.

"Yeah?"

"Yo was Samantha with you today?"

"You saw me at practice."

"Nigga don't play dumb I know y'all been fucking. We've been covering for y'all goofy asses. You thought you was slick with that little comment you made in the gym? You might have gotten her ass in some trouble. She's in the hospital. It's bad."

My heart stops. My stomach drops so low I feel like I'm about to expel it from my body all together.

"Which hospital?"

"Nah, you can't come out here. He's here. He called me asking for Elijah to see if Sam was acting weird when they were together today, but her and Sam weren't together. I lied and let on as if they were. But then Elijah came to the gym and I'm sure he saw her and I don't know what the fuck happened but all of a sudden he's saying she came home bloodied and bruised and digging around for cash to pay someone off. Someone from her past? You don't what that means do you?"

"That nigga is fucking lying. He did that shit. Ya'll there?"

"Yeah but he not letting us see her. She's out though. She's been out cold for hours according to the doctor we got a bit of information from. Elijah's fucked up behind this."

"Fuck. This is on me. I said some shit to her that might have made her run home and try to do some shit. She could've been trying to leave. Cause even if she lied to him, it's never been that bad before for her to end up in the hospital. What hospital?"

He sighs.

I get on the floor and step out into the lobby where I see Elijah, Jabari, and Amira. She's Elijah's best friend who's in town visiting with her newborn baby. They are all waiting in silence. The twins and Jari are sleeping in the chairs next to her.

Damn, this has got to be bad if they brought the kids out this late with them.

"What room is she in?" I can't control my thoughts or emotions.

"Hey, hey." Jabari gets up. I approach him and he rests a hand on my chest holding me still.
"Stop, don't come in here starting some shit. Media is here. This is going to be a big fucking deal. Think about her, and how this would look. Don't do this shit right now. Sit down and shut the fuck up."

I look over to Elijah who nods clearly agreeing.

I take a few deep breaths and have a seat. I throw my hoodie up and lean forward in waiting.

Please God, let her be okay.