Chapter 2: The Young Boy and The Chinaman

- It's all about benefits at first... -

The dial tone went on forever. Khai impatiently tapped on the table. It got disconnected and he groaned. Retrying again, and again. Bone winced at his fourth attempt. Before he could go for the fifth, he snapped.

"Stop it, Ai'Khai!"

Khai turned to him, finger hovering above the phone screen. And he tapped, "call".

"Don't fucking put that on loudspeaker!"

So he did just that. The monotone ringing kicked off again. Bone moved, ready to snatch his phone and yeet it to the bin. But Khai grabbed it faster, kicking himself away along with his swivel chair. His friend wasted no time to chase him. In the midst of their childish fight, the call ended.

Khai glanced at it with disappointment. Bone seized the opportunity and snatched it away. "Don't you dare try again!"

"I won't," he slumped down in his chair. He thought about the birthday party Milk was throwing and how he'd turn down the invitation for free booze. It's not too late to head there just yet, but Khai's not in the mood. So he stayed in the editing room to bother Bone instead.

"Who's that anyway? N'Fahsai?" Bone's eyes were glued back to the computer. "That's what you get for ditching her last Saturday."

"Nah, not her. She's good after I brought her shopping the next day."

"Then who?" Bone faked gasping. "Don't tell me you're chasing another girl at the same time??"

Khai made a face. "No, you idiot! That's against my policy."

The other man simply hummed without much interest. As long as Khai doesn't distract him from his work. "Who is it then?"

Khai contemplated for no more than two seconds before deciding to share. "Do you know Third from our class?"

"Yeah, why?"

"What do you think of him?"

"Hmm, a nice guy. Super smart too. He gave great feedback about the transition in my last project." For some reason it put a smile on Khai's face hearing the praises Third got. "You should talk to him sometimes. Might help you grow some brain."

"Asshole!" Khai cussed. But no, that's not what he wanted to hear. "Not that. I mean, what kind of person do you think he is?"

"What kind? What?"

"Is he a good guy? Or vile? Have you heard any bad rumors about him? Oh, is he in debt or something?"

"Wait a minute, Khai! What's all that?? How the heck would I know?!"

"Well, what are you bragging about having huge connections again?"

"That's... No, but why are you so interested in this guy? What is he to you?"

Khai got himself tongue-tied. He wanted to talk to Bone but it's a mystery where to start. Third is no one and a lot of things to him. He doesn't know him personally but he also felt like he'd known him for years through his works. He likes them but not so sure about the person himself now that they'd talk.

The dinner last week had been dry. Drier than a desert. Khai had never went on a date that ended with complete silence throughout the meal. His companion hid behind a book instead of charmed by his eyes and laughing at his jokes.

Needless to say, Khai's pride as the heart conqueror of both boys and girls was hurt. Though there's something beyond that. The way Third didn't want to look at him, limiting their exchanges, it amused Khai. Also made him a little... disappointed?