CHAPTER 14

A blossoming relationship

Allison laughed at the text message Benjamin sent her. He was so humorous and witty. He kept her smiling and laughing all the time. Being around him was a breath of fresh air and she was happy to be around him. She knew he was still waiting to hear if she was ready to commit to being his girlfriend. 

Two weeks ago he came over to dinner and he had a long talk with her dad. It was surreal to see them both together. Her dad was stern and straightforward about his concerns embarrassing Allison but he had to lay down the ground rules. Benjamin's parents started visiting her father's church often so they all got to know each other better. 

Allison was pleased her dad was also now in the opening dating Anna Morrison. Allison was happy her dad was finding happiness again. 

Her phone buzzed snapping her out of her thoughts. "You just sent a text. Why are you calling?" Allison asked.

"I just want to hear your voice," he said. "Noted," Allison smiled. "I can't wait to see you tomorrow for our first date," he said.

"Second date. Don't forget months ago you surprised me with the picnic by the lake," she reminded him.

"This one is going to be special," he explained.  "I am bringing my camera too," Benjamin stated.

"Nice," Allison said not knowing that he would be taking pictures of her for his portfolio.

"Benjamin, what are you up to?" she asked growing suspicious of his plans.

"Just fun, surprises, and a special time together," he described. 

"I can't wait," Allison said. "How does it feel now that my dad is warming up to you?" Allison asked.

"It's good that he is getting used to his future son and law," Benjamin announced. Allison laughed thinking he was completely joking but only complete silence could be heard.

"You are joking right?" Allison asked curiously. "No, I am serious. I am talking futuristically after college and starting out our careers. I am sure by then our parents will be happy for us," Benjamin said confidently.

"Benjamin Grey, have you knocked your head? Firstly, I have yet to say we are going steady. Next, you can't make plans without me. Perhaps, I may want to date and see my options. How do you know I am the girl for you? After meeting those college girls you just might get bored of us and want something else. Long distance relationships are the hardest," Allison informed him.

"And......." Allison hesitated. "You will have to fall in love and we are not there," she said feeling him out. Deep from within she knew she was falling in love with him but was not ready to share those feelings yet. 

Benjamin analyzed his words carefully. He did not want to blurt the words out on the phone but he truly loved Allison and saw a future with her. 

"Allison, for the 100th time. Will you be my girlfriend? Will you go to prom with me?" he asked. "It has not been 100 times," Allison giggled. She kept this lingering over them for far too long. They were hanging out more often and she got him to attend bible study and youth meetings along with her. She met his family and he met her family so they were always together and inseparable. What it be so bad to admit they were more than friends?

"Yes, I will be your girlfriend," Allison spoke from the heart surprising herself. Benjamin yelled out a triumphant "Yes." "Do you know how long I yearned to hear those words?" he said.

"For me Allison there are no other options. It is you I want and I pray every day you would feel the same way. Of course, I don't want you to date other guys. If you don't want this it would hurt but I want you to be happy and do what is right for you. I don't plan to go anywhere. I want you to fall in love with me so we can share our lives together. As for college, I was going to surprise you tonight with the news. I got into Penstate like you. So we will not be far from each other. My feelings for you run deep and I promise to reveal my true heart tonight just not over the phone," Benjamin said.

"Okay, that was a lot," Allison said taking it all in. Did she want an exclusive relationship? Did she feel this passionately about him and look forward to their future? Their relationship was new and the possibilities were endless. Yes, it had been only a few months but she knew her heart was in it. She still felt shy and new to her feelings. Allison knew she needed to come to grips with them soon because Benjamin was hinting at something that was huge. Was she ready to say that she was falling in love too?

"I hope I did not scare you," he said gently. The last thing he wanted to do was go too fast and push her away.  Allison meant everything to him and he never realized he could feel this way about anyone.

"I guess there's a lot for us to talk about," Allison admitted.  

The date

Allison could not believe everything unfolding in front of her eyes. Benjamin had set up a private photo shoot for her and an intimate candlelight dinner. He was pulling out all the stops and Allison was bubbling over with emotions. Her heart was riled up the entire time basking in a rollercoaster of feelings. She was sure without a doubt she was falling in love and did not expect it. 

"Benjamin, I am not a model. Are you sure you want to use my amateur photos for your portfolio?" Allison smiled admiring the outfits. "I am positive I want my girlfriend to be in these photos," he stated with a huge smile. 

"Okay boyfriend," she said matching his level of enthusiasm. "Thank you for this. This was unexpected and amazing. Who does not want to be a princess for the day?" she smiled warmly.

Benjamin was happy to see the sparkle in her eyes. He could tell when she was extremely happy basking in the moment. He came near her and held her hands for the longest. His eyes never left hers.

"What?" she smiled questioning his intense stare. "You are so beautiful and I like everything about you," he said.

"That's so sweet. I like everything about you too," Allison smiled. 

"Allison this is far bigger than I could ever imagine. I am falling in love with you. Your smile, grace, elegance, kindness, your positive attitude, beauty, and relationship with God. I am attracted to everything concerning you. I can't see my life without you," he said kissing her gently. 

Allison felt weak in the knees and her feet felt like pure butter. Benjamin swept her off her feet each and every time. 

They stood motionless as if time was completely frozen and stared into each other's eyes. Allison bit her bottom lip as her heart beat wildly against her chest.  "Benjamin, all of this is new to me and I am learning as I go my own feelings," she admitted.

"I was afraid to admit it but I am falling in love with you too," she said softly.

As soon as the words left her lips Benjamin captured them with a gentle kiss.