09. Only Hope

아 시발, 어째 느낌이 쌔하더라

Heck. I knew something was up

"You ought to be executed! Going AWOL, using unauthorized gear, and insubordination! What else?" No Eul, wearing her military uniform, stood motionless at the door of the military officer's office, about to meet her brother, when she heard someone yelling, and she peeked through the hole in the door and saw Lieutenant Lee being scolded by his commander.

"I apologize, sir." Lieutenant Lee said expressionlessly. "Buddy, Is that your apologizing look?" The commander lightly punched Lieutenant Lee's chest with his fist, but he didn't budge in the slightest, and the commander scoffed.

"I ought to—" He turned and took his gun, quickly pointing it at Lieutenant Lee. "Sir!" The other soldiers stopped him. No eul gasped at the sight, covering her mouth with both hands.

"You'll be shot to death next time. Finally, you brought the kids here safely. We'll at least be able to tell the superiors and parents something." He lowered the gun and walked over to the table. Hearing his words, No Eul breathed a sigh of relief and turned around, leaning against the wall beside the door.

The door finally opened, revealing Lieutenant Lee who was shocked to see No Eul. He immediately dragged his sister's hand, but a voice was heard from inside.

"That imbecile. I can't even send him to prison". The commander said. "Should we send him?" The other voice heard. "What are you talking about? He's twice as better a soldier as you are!"

Lieutenant Lee smirked and let out a loud sigh. "Let's go. Let's hide somewhere for a while." Lieutenant Lee rested his arms on his sister's shoulders.

"Oppa, are you okay?" She looked at him with concern. "Of course, I am." He smiled assuring her, ruffling her hair.

They walked towards the back of the camp but ran into Il Ha on the way. "Where are you going?" Lieutenant Lee asked in a firm tone, but his expression softened.

"I'm looking for No eul. Where are you taking her?" Il Ha said in a nervous tone, scratching the back of his neck, No eul chuckled at the sight.

"Then you come with us. Looks like you have something to tell me." Lieutenant Lee pretended to show a cold face. "Yes, sir." Il Ha was confused and glanced at No eul. The girl shrugged her shoulder and pretended not to know anything.

"Let's go." Lieutenant Lee pulled her along with him by her shoulders, while No eul grinned, wrapping her arms around Il Ha's arm, dragging him with them.

***  

At the back of the camp, they sat on the ground, staring at the mountain in front of them, feeling the soothing fresh air of the countryside. No eul sat between the two most precious men in her life.

"Kwon Il Ha." Lieutenant Lee looked at Il Ha. "Yes, sir." He turned to her nervously. "Do you like my No eul?" He asked him, looking up at the mountain.

Il Ha took a deep breath and turned his body upright towards him. "Yes, I like her so much. And we're dating, Lieutenant... can I also look after her with you?" He glanced deeply at Lieutenant Lee and said with determination.

No Eul looked at Il Ha intimately, the corners of her lips lifted, touched by the boy's words, and her heart beat a thousand times faster than usual.

"You are 19 years old, soon you will become adults... I believe you know what is good and bad for you, and Il Ha-ya, you know that No Eul looks strong from the outside, but actually, she is a crybaby..." Lieutenant Lee said quietly, watching his younger sister frown at his words.