Disentangle

Lucy POV:

Everything in my body shakes in pain and fear as I run alongside Caleb out of the side doors of the hospital and into the passenger seat of his car. "Holy hell." I let out a panicked filled sigh mixed with nervous laughter, just as my hand reached over my chest feeling my heart thumping asynchronously.

The interrogative gaze from the man next to me draws my attention off myself. "Rebecca." Caleb's voice inquiring yet mystical. 'We're going back to Rebecca?' My mind paints a thousand pictures of who I am supposed to be. "Yes?" I respond a few seconds too late to the conversation he's begun. 

"Have the nurses told you what you did?" His stern voice driving into me. There were several other questions I expected him to ask like 'Do you remember me?' 'Why did you think we had kids?' but this was nowhere near the one I would've expected. 

"I hit 3 people." A painfilled breath enters my lungs at the recollecting of the nurse's words reenter my mind. "She said they were all stable though." The words shakily leave my lips as my eyes dart around the interior of the car in an effort to not lock my eyes to his.

"Did she?" He smirks at my response. "Because I was told they didn't survive surgery." My efforts to not look at Caleb falter, even through the tears I'm holding back. There's a deceptive glare behind his gaze, my curiosity descending since I left the threshold of the hospital. 'This is home, my safety, he wouldn't lie to me.' I repeatedly believe.

He holds the side of my face gently. "This means you cannot talk to the LAPD, you cannot discuss anything with them." I slowly nod at the advice. "You are a wanted criminal for the accident, manslaughter, and for breaking out of the hospital just now." 'Holy shit, I'm a criminal now. Was I always a rule-breaker?' 

The tears escape in fear and confusion despite my efforts to withhold them. I woke up to a shitstorm of a life I ruined. I only know two people, Caleb and the nurse. I'm so hungry. I just want to reverse time to a week ago. 

My stomach grumbles and echos through the awkward silence of the car. "Hungry?" He inquires. "mm" I mumble and nod at the question. My cast rubbing against the red, angry skin of my cheek where the tears fell. "Then let's go pick up food." Caleb starts the car smiling.