Confluence

Lucy POV:

'Kill me now.'

I eye-roll to myself as I'm left alone with one thing on my mind. My husband. So many thoughts raced across my mind, only adding to the growing headache that doesn't seem to ease.

'How does a marriage work?'

'What was my wedding like?'

'Is he cute?'

I chug down the rest of the water in an attempt to chastise my seemingly endless curiosity about a man who knows more about me than myself. A man I have no recollection of. The nurse left me here a handful of minutes ago, still bound to the sterile room by my wrist.

"Your husband should be here soon."  One of the last things she left me with. Not a time frame, not a true explanation. Just a description of a quick conversation she made with the receptionist. I try to be angrier than I currently am but every other emotion overrides.

I'm thankful for the ability to just close my eyes and recall what the nurse said. 'Memories' My eyes watering. I'm terrified of the thought of marriage, and a husband. The flood gates behind my eyes only press harder. Tears flowing aggressively against my face.

A startling knock against the door to my room sends me into a panic. 'Shit. He's here.' The thought invades my every move. My sad effort of rubbing away the tears with the casted hand scratches my cheekbone.

The door opened and a tall dirty blonde man walked in alongside the same nurse from earlier. "I'll leave you both to it." She smiles and turns out.  "Baby." He looks terrified at the sight of me. 'Don't do anything stupid Rebecca.' I have to remind myself. He's not who I would've imagined. He stands by me, at the same place the nurse once was. 

"Baby?" My body unwillingly stirs in fear. "I have a baby?" Before I could process it, more tears trickle down, despite the cast, I try my best to soothe the waterfall of emotions. The nurse never told me about a baby and here I am under a tsunami of fear, plus I don't even know this man; he's seeing me so vulnerable and it's not fair. 

"No no Becca we don't have children." He explains as he reaches his hand towards the detained one. 'I go by Becca?' I wonder, silently trying to put these awful puzzle pieces together.
"I'm so sorry." I inhale, a sting radiating throughout my chest. "I don't remember you." My voice falling into a whisper. 

"It's going to be alright, you hit your head pretty hard, but I'll be here to help you with everything." He flashes a smile at me as his thumb brushes against my hand. I raise my head and our eyes meet 'He seems nice.' I shrug off most of the worries from before.

"I want to leave." I scoff, hoping he would help free me. The nurse certainly didn't. "Please?" My heart banging against my chest at the idea that not only am I a public danger, an alcoholic, but now I can add fugitive to the list. 'Way to go, Rebecca, or Becca I guess.' 

"The nurse said only security can release you." He disregards my attempt. "Caleb?" I say his name for the first time, well for the first time I can remember. This changed his demeanor almost instantly. "Let's get you home." He whispered.

Frantically, he jumped away from my bedside to seek out any useful tool that could remove the metal connected to my wrist. "Here." He holds up a pair of surgical tweezers and makes his way back down towards me. 

The adrenaline coursing throughout my body causing me to shake. "Hey hey." He rests his hand on my shoulder in effort to calm me down. With a couple clicks of the tweezers inside the handcuff, they fall open. 

I rub the red, irritated lines that formed since they were placed. "Come on." He offers his hand towards mine and urges me to stand.