Forgotten

Lucy POV:

What the fuck 

As she wrote down her notes, I couldn't help but inquire on what they were about. 'Am I crazy?' 'Did the drinks melt my brain?' 'This is taking forever.'

"Is it December 9th, 2019?" I reiterated hoping for an answer rather than annotations or whatever doodles this time. "Uh no, it's not. Its April 13th 2023..." She trailed on, in an effort to not upset me, but that effort didn't help.

"Huh?" Was all I managed to spit out. The shock painfully obvious in the one word that I spoke. "It seems like the concussion you experienced in the accident has resulted in long term transient global amnesia." She diagnosed me by merely asking a couple questions. She knew me better than I knew myself. 

"This may be upsetting, but I have to ask." The nurse started off. "Who died that day?" She calmly held my hand as every emotion filled my body. Sweat pooling above my eyebrows stinging the scrapes and cuts that sat there. "Died?" Tears now forming in my eyes as I had absolutely zero concept of who or what she was referring to. "You're reverting back to a time where a traumatic event took place, while not uncommon, it can be dangerous if not discussed and explained thoroughly."  

"I- I- I don't know what you're talking about." I truthfully admitted. A bittersweet type of fear surfaced; 'Could it be better for me to forget someone dying? Things like that tend to be depressing.' "Rebecca, while you were in surgery the staff noticed a tattoo on your left rib. 'DOD12919'."

"What's DOD?" I questioned. "Day of death." Her voice low and almost fragile. "No clue, nurse." I shrugged.

 Despite the inflexible cast I still managed to rub my forehead in attempt to make sense of the information. My shackled wrist felt bruised under the cuffs from the movement I've made in the past hour. "Can you take this off?" I pleaded as I rattled the metal a bit in desperation.

"Unfortunately, I'm not able to. Security is in charge of patients in police custody. You should be released once everybody else involved in the accident is medically cleared and discharged." The nurse went on to elaborate as she noticed my jaw drop at the thought of what I had caused. "Thankfully, they are in stable condition." She shifted and stood up.

'The thought of police seemed extremely familiar. God Rebecca' I wondered silently. 'I'm a criminal now of course they were going to be.'

"Your husband should be here soon though. The receptionist gave him a call once you woke up." Her now at the end of the bed. "Hopefully he can jog that memory of yours." She half-smiled and gave me a quick pat on my foot. 

I glanced back at the ring on my hand. "I'm married?" 'More things I forgot, yay' I joked to myself. "Uh who?" Stammering on the question trying to articulate the right words to say. 

"Your husband's name is Caleb." Peeking through her clipboard of notes on me. "Caleb Wright."