Maniacal

Caleb POV:

Perfect absolutely fucking perfect.

She slipped out of my hands once and I've since devoted everything in my power to prevent that from happening again. Despite how simple it would be to just grab another sloppy drunk girl out of a similar bar as she once was, now Lucy's all of what consumes me. 

She was never supposed to leave that barrel alive. She was supposed to gain clarity that day, in the most tactical way possible. The evidence etched into her tanned skin, but now that only serves as a mockery to what I couldn't have accomplished that day.

 The LAPD messed up every part of our plans. Rosalind and I worked tirelessly, day and night, reviewing methods and executions. 

For her being a cop and all, it's a little sad how much the department has failed her. She hasn't noticed me eyeing her like a hawk these past four years plus their combat skills are outdated and average at best. 

Which brings us to now; The opening I needed came just as easy as the first. Drunk Lucy. Concealed in my car across the street, observing her through the glass door of the bar she was draining of liquor. Remembering how giggly and talkative she became when inebriated and how it always impressed me.

 Envy took over as soon as I saw the bartender smile her up and down. It wasn't fair, she's not for him to stare at. The conversation between them lasted until the song softly playing on the radio came to an end. 'Dream A Little Dream Of Me.' It was the most perfect song for her.

It was a moment of pure deja vu the way she stumbled out of the brick building. The look of embarrassment and exhaustion plastered on Lucy's face brought me into a time machine. Regardless of her heaving every drink tonight onto the sidewalk, her fight to pull herself up the street was incredibly admirable.

'Not yet.' I reminded myself. 'Wait for a challenge.' Calming thoughts repeating as my gaze followed her into that orange car she refuses to sell. Watching her start it and speed off, it should've terrified me that she could've died, that I could've lost her forever. But it didn't and it hadn't. 

Slowly easing out of the parking lot and keeping a safe distance behind Lucy, what terrified me next was how quick she breezed into three other cars at the upcoming intersection. The driver's side ravaged, and her body broken in several places.

Exiting my car and closing the door with a silent thud, I pace towards the woman I've thought about for too long. Swiftly tugging identifying documents out of the pocket of my coat. 'Lucy Chen' will cease to exist.

'Rebecca Wright' My wife, my darling.

I toss the papers into the glove box as I remove the former ones. I placed a soft kiss onto her temple "See you soon." I whisper. 

Running as fast as my body could handle, I jump into my car and reverse out of the scene. I grasp my phone out of my back pocket and emergency dial 911.

"911 What's your emergency?"

"Yes hello. There's been an accident." I explain on my drive home.