Screwing Around

Ratchet walked into the shop. It reeked of old, recycled parts, but instead of them being new and improved, they were all just the same, set aside for some kind of use to the robots that needed it. The air seemed to have a strange aftertaste to it, and the interior didn't exactly help with that either. In fact, it seemed to have made it worse.

Through the scrap metal hanging well organized on the wall or stashed in boxes and compartments, there was a seat that one could sit at. Sitting on a stool beside that one was none other than the blue and white rusty himself, Rodney. His back was facing the doorway as he was busy wiping off his tools. This was the perfect opportunity for Ratchet to inflict some kind of assault on him. Perhaps he could hit him in the back of the head, or ring out his neck.

Though, as he took a step forward, the floor under him creaked, alerting Rodney of his presence.

"Come in!" he heard Rodney say. "Take a seat and I'll take care of you in a sec."

Ratchet held his breath and looked down at the seat before looking over his shoulder. He furrowed his brows. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to act out on Rodney right now. There were still people lined up outside, after all. Doing so would only get him caught.

Exhaling a breath, Ratchet glared at Rodney before going to the empty stool, sitting down. He rested his broken arm in his lap, waiting for Rodney to finish with whatever he was doing. It took everything in him to not swing a punch right now.

When Rodney was finally done, he spun around in his stool to face the silver robot. That was when Ratchet noticed that he had protective eyewear on, making his eyes look big. Rodney smiled and was in the middle of greeting him, but when he realized who it was, he gave a soft "oh" in surprise.

"Ratchet," he said, swallowing uncomfortably. "What...how did you get here?"

"I managed, Copperbottom. No thanks to you."

"I...see." He fidgetted with the wrench in his hand before setting it down. "Well, what are you doing here?"

Ratchet held up his broken limp. "My arm somehow popped out of my socket. I was actually hoping that you would help me with it. Since you're so experienced and all, with that kind of thing. Unless the rumors aren't true?"

"Oh!" Even though he acted like he was surprised, he was suspicious of what Ratchet was really doing there. Even then, he remained professional. Ratchet was just another costumer. He cleared his throat and gestured to the robot's arm. "May I?"

Ratchet held it out to him. Rodney inspected it for a second. "It looks like it just needs to be screwed back on."

"You wouldn't happen to have a screw, would you?" Ratchet asked.

Rodney shook his finger as he stood up, walking past Ratchet toward one of the compartments in the room. "I sure do," he said. "Let me just find the right size for you."

Rodney opened one of the compartments and looked for a screw, comparing them to the depth and size in Ratchet's arm. It took a moment, but he seemed to have found a match, as he went back to his seat with one in his hand.

"Okay," Rodney breathed, reaching over to grab his screwdriver. "Can you turn a little so I can screw this back on?"

Ratchet did so, though still kept his glare on Rodney as he leaned forward, positioning his arm back into the right place. As he was figuring that out, he said, "I'd think that your father would've came with you, since you left the underground."

"Don't worry about him," Ratchet said. "He's perfectly fine."

"You know," Rodney said, sliding in the screw into his shoulder. "I never would've expected you to come here of all places. I just can't help but get the feeling that you're not just here to get your arm fixed."

"Then you'd be right," Ratchet said. "I actually wanted to speak with you."

"Really?" Rodney started screwing the screw with his screwdriver into Ratchet's arm. "Why?"

"I've been thinking about what you said," Ratchet said. "And I wanted to say..."

Crap! What was he supposed to say now?

"Ratchet," Rodney butted in. "I want you to know that I forgive you."

"Huh?"

"Yeah. Everyone makes mistakes. Even though you practically threatened and brutally colonized an entire community of robots to appease to your liking of making recycled new products, I forgive you. It's just not worth it holding a grudge on someone who was misunderstood, in the long run."

"Misunderstood?!" Ratchet repeated. "Who are you calling misunderstood, Copperbottom?"

"I understand that you wanted to be part of Bigweld's business, but I can also see that you were practically shaped by Madame Gasket's sinister desires." Giving one last turn of his screwdriver, Rodney leaned back and put it away, letting Ratchet test out his arm. "I want to believe that you aren't truly like that. You are a very brilliant man, after all, and I do think that you can be redeemable if you just try."

Ratchet thought for a second. Maybe he should change his plans. Perhaps he should befriend Rodney and get to know him. That way, when he does take revenge on him, then the outcome for Rodney will be undeniabley more painful. Keep your friends close and enemies closer, like the saying goes. Liking this, Ratchet smiled evilly, making Rodney stare at him all weirded out and stuff.

"Fine. I promise that I'll never disrespect another outmode—er, another 'rusty' robot ever again."

Rodney seemed satisfied, but in his gut, he still had a bad feeling about this. So it was only his duty to keep an eye on Ratchet from now on, now that he wasn't in the chop shop anymore. "Hey, will you be going back to the underground then with your father?"

"Why do you ask?"

Rodney smiled. "Because I know a place where you can stay."