home run

guys i just love softball sm !!- anyways, enjoy

Y/N POV

  I am living every softball player's dream. I have a baseball boyfriend who likes practicing with me... Well. He's not my boyfriend.. yet.

  We're riding the bus to our next game at a different school and I'm in the middle of the bus, at the edge of where the softball and baseball players sit. If you didn't know, baseball usually sits in the back and softball sits in the front. I don't know why, it just is what it is.

  But, yes I was sitting in the middle, on the edge, next to Cynthia McPherson, my best friend. And who better to sit behind me than Michael Caesar. He wasn't paying me any mind though and I won't paying him no mind either, too wrapped up in my conversation ABOUT him to even notice he was right there.

  "So y'all hung outttt-" Cindy teased and I rolled my eyes "You know it wasn't like that. We just.. went to the park and practiced." I smiled "It was fun though. He's strong, he throws hard." Cindy nodded "Did y'all practice hitting cus, that's what you need to work on." I smiled "Yes we did but, I cannot hit off of those pitches." Cindy rolled her eyes sarcastically "You can hit off of any pitches?" I sighed "Very funny, Cynthia.. which one of us is a sub again?" We laughed and I sighed, sinking down in the bus seat 

  "I should tell him. At least maybe then he'd stop playing with my feelings..." Michael popped up behind me "Who's playing with your feelings?" I jumped and turned around, then the bus went over a bump and I fell out of my seat, into the aisle. "OH MY GOSH you scared me." He helped me up and laughed "You need one of those booster seats.." I rolled my eyes "Haha. You're soooooo hilarious." Michael smirked and kissed my hand "I know I am. You love me though.." I snatched my hand away and scooted back into my seat "Anyways--"

  We finally arrived at the school and everyone got off the bus because for once, the softball field was not all the way in the cut. I was getting off, carrying the catchers equipment and Michael followed behind, helping me carry it because he insisted on it every game. We got off and he put the bag down. "L/N, hit a homer for me.." I smiled a little "Okay, I'll try.." He walked off and I giggled, pulling the bag to the softball field and going out to the outfield so we can stretch and warm up before the game.

  Because we're away, we bat first and even though I can't hit, I'm the first in the line up since I play catchers position and I gotta put my gear on for when we go out on the field. I just love playing as the catcher though <3. But I'm up to bat and the anxiety is building up and it's like 80 degrees outside and I am a nervous wreck. The first pitch was clearly a ball because I mean, it was basically like she rolled it to me. Her coach called for a switch and the pitcher adjusted her stance. I watched the ball as she adjusted the way she threw it, and it was a perfect pitch. It was straight and just gorgeous so...

I swung

  AND THE CRACK AGAINST MY BAT, AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

  I dropped my bat and ran for first, still watching the ball in the air as I went second, it's all the way in the outfield. I wait to see if their left fielder or center catches it but they bump into each other and I keep on running, barely making it home. I slid just as the catcher was catching the ball and I laid on the ground, waiting for the ump to call it 'safe' or 'out'

  "SAFE!" I got up and my team cheered for me as our next batter went up. My back hurt from that slide though, I was on the verge of tears. I waited too long at second to see if they caught it and I almost got out on one of my first hits and my back hurt. I took a sip of my Gatorade and got myself together before turning to Cynthia. "Did you get a video?" She nodded and I got up, putting my gear on.

  We had six runs, only the last three people got out and they all made it on base. Then we hit the field, throwing for a bit until the ump told me our time was up. "Balls in, coming down!!" I threw the ball to second base as everyone else got their balls back to the dugout, second base throws it to pitcher and the batter comes up.

"Strike!"

"Strike!"

"Strike!"

  But I fumbled and the ball went past me so, I had to get back up to throw to first so she could get out. But as soon as I got up and the ball got thrown, I fell to the ground in AGONIZING pain, screaming a blood curdling scream. My back really was killing me. Their physical trainer came out and helped me up but my eyes stung and my vision was blurry with tears. I sat on the bench and started crying. The lady gave me some ice and told me that I need to go to the doctor when I get home. She thinks I may have  strained something or pinched a nerve. I already know what's wrong, I'm recovering from sciatica and I didn't tell anyone. It had little to do with the fall and more with how fast I got up but now my mid back hurts too so, I suppose I should see a medical professional. My coach switched me out with Jazmine, our other catcher and another good friend of mine, also Michael's best friend's girlfriend. Yeah.

  Eventually after about 8 innings because we were tied for a while, My team was victorious and we won 27-24. We all high-fived the other team after the game, like normal, and we ran to the outfield. Well, they ran, I hobbled in the back with help from Cynthia. We had our after-game celebration, we put everything on the bus, and THEN, we went to watch the boys game. When we got there, My man who's not my man was playing pitcher and he saw me and waved a me. I waved back and sat on the bleachers with Cindy and Jazmine, who also waved at him. We watched the game and The boys had won, much better than we did, they won 50-36 and we got on the bus, waiting for the boys to finish their after game meeting.

  I sat in my seat and groaned "I wish I had played more.." Cindy nodded "Yeah but, you hit. You hit a homer. You did the best you could and at the end of the day, your health is more important. I sighed and the boys got on the bus, laughing and celebrating. Caesar looked and me and immediately noticed something was wrong. "Y/N, are you okay, are you good? Is your back okay? Are you wearing the brace I gave you?" I just smiled at him "I'm okay, I just hit my back on the base sliding to home after I hit that home run." He gasped "You really did it?" I nodded and he hugged me tight "I knew you could do it! I'm so proud of you!" He looked at Cindy "Mind if I steal her? My seat buddy is gone." She rolled her eyes "Go ahead-" She went to sit with Jazmine and Caesar pulled me into his seat. "Do you still want the ride home with me?" He asked and I just nodded, humming as he massaged my sides.

  "Hey Y/N?" I turned my head "y-" I got cut off by a kiss and Caesar was a uh, a great kisser, yes ma'am. He smiled as he pulled away and I just looked at him shocked and his smiled dropped "jeez- I should've asked, I'm sorry, I just thought you felt the same and-" I smiled "I do." He stopped and looked at me "Huh?" I giggled "I said I do feel the same." He nodded "So you were talking about me playing with your feelings? I didn't mean to.." I nodded and leaned on his shoulder. "I didn't mean to." he whispered. "I was trying to drop hints.. to be fair, it felt like you were playing with my feelings too." I nodded "Oh. What a coinkie-dink!" He just laughed and hugged me. "Do you wanna come over, we can play video games and talk about the game-?" I shook my head "Sir I'm not allowed to be out all night, it's Tuesday, I gotta do my hair and I have school work to do." He nodded "You go to Cindy's house during the week." I nodded "Cindy's a girl, you're not." He pouted "I don't wanna sleep with you, you're not even my girlfriend yet." I nodded "Still a no, I have a project at my house due tomorrow and again, parents" He just snuggled me "Fine.." I smiled and nudged him away "Let me go-" I giggled and he shook his head "I'm getting my snuggles in." I nodded "Wake me up when we get to the school.." he hummed in acknowledgment and I fell asleep.

  He didn't wake me up when we got to school though, he had Cindy bring my stuff from the locker room and he took me home, asked my parents to take me upstairs to my room, he gave them my stuff, and them he went home.