What's wrong with Sam?

The Doctor opened a green door to a large room, it was a bedroom. One wall was filled with bookcases that reached the ceiling covered with hundreds of books. There were two small single-sized beds, a very unique bunk bed, a few chairs and tables scattered around and a collection of pillows, blankets and other fluffy things in one corner. Dean followed the Doctor through the door and laid his brother gently down on the closest bed. The Doctor and Castiel stood back as Dean pulled up a chair to Sam's bed and held on to his hand.

After a long, silent moment Dean finally spoke.

"One of you have to do something, you're an angel and you're a time lord" Dean gestured to Castiel and the Doctor respectively. Castiel looked at the Doctor guilty, he would do anything to help Sam but at the moment he was cut off from heaven so he simply could not. As if the Doctor could read Cas' mind he walked over to the bed and felt Sam's neck for a pulse, there wasn't one. Dean looked around at Castiel and the angel smiled sympathetically.

"There is something I might be able to do" The Doctor announced doubtfully, causing Dean to look away from Cas.

"Please Doctor, anything" Dean begged. The Doctor turned around and walked a couple of steps away. Dean and Castiel could hear the Doctor talking to himself but they couldn't work out what he was actually saying. Although he seemed to be arguing with himself. After a couple of awkward minutes he returned, smiling sadly.

"Can you help return Sam from the dead, Doctor?" Castiel asked curiously.

"Well I'm a time lord and time lords have twelve regenerations you see and I'm the eleventh regeneration, I'm the eleventh doctor" The doctor tired to explain, but it was quite awful.

"As confusing as that is, I understand. You've told us all this before" Dean questioned, squeezing his younger brother's hand.

"So I've got one regeneration left" The Doctor hinted conspicuously, not actually wanting to say what he was prepared to do for Sam.

Castiel was the first one to catch on , "As much as I like Sam and want to save him, you can't do that Doctor." Dean looked confusedly from the Doctor to Cas.

"What are you two talking about. Just say it" Dean demanded, angry of being left out and his emotions obviously going crazy.

"The Doctor wants to give up his last regeneration to bring back Sam" Castiel said bluntly. The Doctor stared at Dean for a reaction, any reaction, but he didn't get one. Sure, Dean was gobsmacked but he didn't show it. It scared Dean that this wonderful, 1,200 year-old time lord was willing to give up one of his last lives for his normal little brother.

"Sam deserves this, he deserves more time. I can honestly say that Sam is the one of the most intelligent, sensitive and gentle giants I have ever met..." The Doctor begun, getting a small smile from Cas, " and I've been around for an awfully long time. So, I've seen so much and I've already experienced so many extraordinary things that maybe i'll be okay with dying after this last regeneration. All that matters it that I'm willing to give up my regeneration for Sam"

"You can't give that all up" Castiel protested half-heartily because he also wanted Sam back.

"If I wasn't prepared to give it up I wouldn't have mentioned it Cas" the Doctor replied. Dean was still staring at his little brother. He was torn and conflicted, he wanted his brother back but he didn't want his friend to lose a life.

"Doctor-"Castiel started again before being interrupted.

"Okay" Dean whispered not looking away from Sam. The Doctor smiled and nodded at Dean. He sat down on the bed next to Sam and breathed sharply.

"You should move back" the Doctor warned Dean. He stood back next to Cas and entwined his fingers with Castiel's for emotional support.

"Sam deserves this" the Doctor whispered to himself, but Castiel heard. Dean squeezed Cas' hand tightly as the Doctor placed his hands on Sam's face. Castiel looked up at Dean and saw a look of pure worry on his face.

Castiel, with his other hand, grabbed Dean's arm and squeezed it reassuringly, "it's going to be okay." Before Dean could reply suddenly a yellow mist of beautiful magic flowed out from the Doctor and danced in the air. It pranced around in the air majestically for a couple of seconds before pouring into Sam dramatically. After all the mist had disappeared the Doctor casually removed his hands from Sam's face and stood back up. Dean stepped forward, breaking his connection with Cas.

"What now?" Dean wondered out loud. The Doctor smiled at Dean then at Sam.

"Give him a second" The Doctor informed him then sure enough a second later Sam inhaled deeply and sprung to life, sitting up in the bed. Dean ran the two or three steps to the bed and wrapped his arms around his brother. Sam looked around confused.

"Dean...?" Sam choked, now only being held up by his brother. Castiel looked over to the Doctor and he could have sworn the time lord looked upset but he quickly smiled after he noticed Castiel was looking at him.

"It's okay Sammy, I've got you" Dean comforted. Sam slowly brought his arms up and grabbed onto his brother jacket.

"I..I was...how?" Sam stuttered before giving up on speaking for the moment.

"It's all going to be okay now" The Doctor assured. Sam had barely noticed the Doctor and the trench-coated angel in the background so he jumped when the Doctor spoke.

"It's only me Sam" The Doctor smiled, stepping closer. Sam successfully lifted his head up and saw the time lord. Dean pulled out of the strong embrace and looked at his brother.

"What happened?" Sam asked rubbing his head.

"I'll explain later, first you should let Cas check to see how you are going" The Doctor suggested.

"Sure" Sam agreed before Castiel came over to the bed and positioned himself so his hand was just over the Winchester's heart.

"This may hurt" Castiel warned. Sam only nodded and squeezed his eyes shut before Castiel reached into Sam's chest and he let out a group of swear words. After a quick moment the angel removed his hand and stood up properly, "Surprisingly you're fine, good as new, in fact" Sam rubbed his chest and smiled at Dean who was looking extremely worried.

"Dean, your brother is going to be fine" Cas confirmed.

"Wait so is Sam like a time lord now?" Dean asked with a sense of serious concern in his voice.

The Doctor let out a laugh, "no, sadly not. Just plain normal human Sam."

"Great now you can tell me what just happened?" Sam smiled.

"Okay, well.."