Help from an old friend

The Doctor was in Jurassic period enjoying the company of a lovely green brachiosaurus. The 1200 year old time lord lifted up his hands filled with delicious fern leaves, the brachiosaurus slowly lowered it's head and accepted the Doctor's little gift. The magnificent dinosaur chomped down on the fern leaves causing the excited Doctor to jump up and down with a giant smile on his face.

"You are wonderful, you are" The Doctor admired patting the dinosaur. With a nod of the head the brachiosaurus let out a window-smashing growl.

"Aye, don't say that! Bow-ties are cool" The Doctor exclaimed adjusting his red bow-tie. In the distance he could just hear the ringing of a telephone.

"Oh, a phone call. For me?" The doctor quickly patted the dinosaur one last time and ran up to his phone box. He reached out his hand and and pushed the blue door open but instead of the door opening to let the time lord in, it stayed closed causing the excited Doctor to face-plant.

"Every time" The Doctor said rubbing his head. He carefully pulled the door open and skipped up the steps to pick up his ringing telephone.

"Hello! The Doctor here"

"Doctor, we didn't know how to contact you" The stranger replied, he could sense a tone of sadness in her voice.

"What... who is this?" The Doctor questioned.

"I'm Darcy, from St. Bart's hospital"

"Is everything alright?"

"I'm so sorry Doctor but Sherlock Holmes committed suicide four months ago"

"...He wouldn't have, he's Sherlock Holmes. He... Er.. um" The Doctor's voice started to fail him.

"Are you alright Doctor?" Darcy replied sounding concerned.

"Yes I'm fine.. ah. John! How is John coping?" The Doctor eagerly asked.

"We haven't actually seen him since Sherlock passed away, I've heard he's not in a very good place at the moment. He did just lose his best friend"

The Doctor was staring at the wall, poor John, "I have to go" He quickly muttered, hanging up the phone and running over to the TARDIS console. He frantically pressed every second button, typed letters into the screen, pulled levers and flicked all the switches to guide the TARDIS to John's flat.

John sat at his kitchen table absent-mindly staring at his tea. John no longer had the will or energy to go out shopping every week to pick up fresh food so instead he just had microwavable food, canned food and take out. John picked up his fork and played with the cold pieces of canned spaghetti, swirling the noodles with the fork then letting them fall back to his plate. John spent many nights like this, sitting alone in the dark. The silence was broken by a crashing noise from upstairs. John was awoken from his half-hearted daydream and heard the familiar whooshing noise of the TARDIS. "Doctor..." John left his uneaten tea and ran upstairs into his room to find the phone box standing there with the time lord leaning on it.

"John, I'm so sorry" The doctor apologized and John's excitement over seeing the Doctor turned into anger.

"Why didn't you save him?" John questioned, narrowing his eyes.

"You've got to understand, I can't"

"YOU HAVE A TIME MACHINE"

"Sherlock jumping is a fixed point in time, there is nothing that I can do"

"You could have tried but you were too busy gallivanting around the universe" John didn't blame the Doctor but he needed something to hold on to.

"John, you and I both know that if I could, I would have. Please don't do this to yourself"

" I just want my best friend back" John whispered to himself. The Doctor understood how John was feeling. He has lost friends before and he has been exactly where John was but now it was the Doctor's turn to help his friend.

"John, I want to help you" The doctor pleaded.

"If you want to help me go back in time and stop Sherlock from jumping off that damn building"

"I can't change a fixed point in time, John"

"You're a time lord, time is yours to control!"

"It doesn't work like that, there's rules against it"

John gave the Doctor an unforgiving look, "Sherlock would have broken rules to save you"

The Doctor saw John's point. Sherlock once broke the law and deleted all the information on the internet about the Doctor. He owed Sherlock one. The Doctor stared at the ground while John continued to glare at him. He couldn't let John go on like this, he was slowly slipping away and the Doctor had to save John and Sherlock.

"John listen to me, I'm going to save Sherlock. But that means you won't remember anything from the last four months, everything you've done recently will be gone"

"..Thank you Doctor" John was relieved, the last four months were filled with loneliness, coldness and darkness so John was relieved that he wouldn't remember any of it. John told the Doctor everything about the snipers, Moriarty and the final problem. The doctor then said goodbye, promised to bring Sherlock back and skipped into the TARDIS. With a whoosh he was gone again. Leaving the flat just as empty as it was half an hour ago. But this time John had something that he hadn't had in ages, he had hope brought along by his old friend the Doctor.