Chapter 42

Zhou Haitou smirked before he quickly swung his sword. Baozhai used both of her arms to block his attack before she fell to the ground and struck her head on a rock, knocking her out.

When ZhangWei reached Baozhai, Zhou Haitou immediately did the same trick he had done to Xiaomei. Zhou Haitou turned and stabbed ZhangWei in the stomach, but ZhangWei's expression didn't show any emotion and continued to raise his sword. He slashed Zhou Haitou's arm. Before ZhangWei could aim for Zhou Haitou's neck, Zhou Haitou deflected it. During their fighting, Junfeng quickly checked the unconscious Baozhai.

Zhou Haitou continued to deflect the attacks before glancing in Xiaomei's direction. His eyes instantly glared at her. "She again got in my way," he thought as he remembered how she warned Baozhai, but soon his angry eyes gleamed. He needed to shake ZhangWei off his tail.

Xiaomei was unaware of the next event that was about to happen as her main focus was on the two men who were protecting her.

Zhou Haitou immediately gave a silent signal to his men to distract the two men protecting Xiaomei. ZhangWei immediately noticed Zhou Haitou's signal. He looked back to see most of the attackers headed toward Xiaomei. Junfeng noticed it and tried to hurry back to Xiaomei, but then some of Zhou Haitou's men started attacking Junfeng.

"Where are you looking at," Zhou Haitou laughed and swung his sword at ZhangWei. He smiled, thinking his plan was going in the right direction. Zhou Haitou wanted his men to focus on attacking the unconscious Baozhai and Xiaomei since they were defenseless, so ZhangWei and his men would be in defense mode instead of attack mode. Zhou Haitou was able to injure ZhangWei's arm since ZhangWei was distracted.

Zhou Haitou then kicked ZhangWei down before rushing toward Xiaomei since there was a clear opening.

Xiaomei felt something was off before turning her head to see Zhou Haitou charging at her with his sword aiming at her heart again. Xiaomei stood there, not knowing what to do. She knew she wasn't capable of protecting herself, but her bodyguards were busy. However, she immediately noticed Zhou Haitou's eyes.

ZhangWei pulled himself together. His eyes showed great determination as he gritted his teeth before rushing to save Xiaomei.

Once ZhangWei was getting closer, Zhou Haitou smiled and quickly turned back, aiming his sword straight at ZhangWei's heart. This time ZhangWei was close enough that when Zhou Haitou stabbed him, the blade would pierce right through him.

Xiaomei could not let this trick happen again as her body moved on its own, and one of her hands grabbed the sharp blade and pulled it back. She refused to let it go as the blade only cut through his clothes. ZhangWei was shocked before Zhou Haitou was enraged and pulled back the sword, and she felt the skin on her palm split open.

Zhou Haitou raised his sword to finish her off. ZhangWei directly deflected it before a swooping sound soared through the air, and an arrow pierced the back of Zhou Haitou.

Zhou Haitou groaned before turning his head to see reinforcements (LiJie, Bojing, and Haoyu, as Chuhua was forced to stay back) showing up. Zhou Haitou quickly slashed ZhangWei out of his way since ZhangWei's eyes were blurry from the pain and was not quick enough to stop the attack.

"Retreat," Zhou Haitou shouted before escaping.

"After them," ZhangWei forced out before his shadow guards went after them. Bojing went after them while LiJie jumped off the horse and went to Baozhai. Junfeng knew Baozhai was in good hands before rushing to ZhangWei.

"ZhangWei, are you alright?" Junfeng said, trying to hold him.

"I'm fine. Go after him," ZhangWei ordered. Junfeng wanted to refuse but followed orders and went after them.

"I'm taking Baozhai back," LiJie said, carrying her onto the horse. ZhangWei nodded his head before they galloped back.

"Hurry. Let's take you back too. You got stabbed," Xiaomei said to ZhangWei as he was breathing heavily and enduring the pain. She could see his lips becoming pale and sweat coming down his forehead. She also saw the dampness on his clothes.

He grabbed her wrist and lifted her bloody hand. "A-are you stupid..." he said breathlessly.

At first, she hissed in pain and wanted to argue with him, but he immediately collapsed.

"Wang ZhangWei," she called out his name.