Chapter 9

Xiaomei and LiMei follow the guard again to the hidden exit, early in the morning.

"Don't take too long again," the guard said to them as they sneaked into the village. This time Xiaomei bought utensils (spoons, chopsticks, and knives), bowls, more jars, lard, eggs, a wooden cutting board, another pot, rose tea, glutinous rice flour, and lotus root starch as her and LiMei entire body was cover with hanging bags and all the stuff straps to them. They then enter the workshop as the owner greets them. "Welcome back, Miss. Here is your small grinder you wanted," he showed her a small stone grinder.

"Thank you," she tries picking it up.

"Miss, will you be able to carry it?" he asks, worried.

"Oh, yes," she replied and wrapped the item in a thick cloth. She mustered up all her strength and willpower before carrying it as she was leaning toward one side. "Thank you," she said again and left.

There she saw small red shiny fruits glazing in her eyes and tempting her as she couldn't resist and bought three bingtanghulu and more steam buns.

"Lady, do you want me to carry it?" LiMei asks, as Xiaomei sets the grinder down for a bit and rotates her shoulder to loosen it up.

"Don't worry. I got this. We are almost there," she said.

Once they arrive at the gate, Xiaomei quickly sets the grinder down as she felt she was going to lose her arm. She started moving her fingers and shoulder to circulate the blood again. She then handed one bingtanghulu and a steam bun to the guard. "Thank you again. I never got your name?" she said.

"The name is Bao," the guard answered.

"Thank you, Bao," she said, and they went their separate ways.

Xiaomei had put everything away in the cabinet, and they sat down to eat the food they bought. Then pop out the chipmunk from the window and crawl on the table. "Well, hello there again," Xiaomei said to the chipmunk "are you hungry again, didn't I feed you this morning?" she said as the chipmunk came daily and became their little companion. She went up and grabbed both roasted and unroasted nuts. "Let's see which one you like better?" She set them on the table. The chipmunk ate all of them as if he didn't have any preferences. Both Xiaomei and LiMei chuckled at the chipmunk's action. "I guess you like all of it," she said as the chipmunk crawled closer to Xiaomei's hands and started sniffing. "Sorry, no more. Tomorrow," she said. The chipmunk jumped down as if the chipmunk understood her and left.