Chapter 22

At first, Xiaomei told Bao and LiMei to not allow access to ZhangWei anymore. However, it didn't stop him from entering as he jumped over the wall, and Bao was no match for him. So, Xiaomei could only give up since there was nothing she could do to stop him from coming. It's been a month since he's been showing up at Xiaomei's small residence, and there was no progress in the story. She didn't understand. She had Bao check if there was any news from the palace, but there was no news or movement. If she remembered, ZhangWei would have already told Baozhai that some of their people were still alive, including her uncle, who was in charge. They were living in a village as a small sect, close to the borders, next to mountains, not exposing themselves. He had to go back as her uncle sent words for him to come back. When Baozhai heard this, she was so happy to hear the good news and immediately wanted to see all the people and her uncle. Therefore, they all went as it took about 3 to 4 days to get there. Once they got there, Baozhai faced multiple assassination attempts and was able to find out who the killer was and the mastermind of everything, which led to the final battle and the ending of the story.

So, the problem was ZhangWei since it seemed like he hadn't told Baozhai yet since he would constantly show up at her residence. She stared at that man, watching him feed the little chipmunk some roasted chestnuts one at a time as he would crack one for himself and then crack one open for the chipmunk. Xiaomei didn't understand how those two became close as if the little chipmunk was his little companion. LiMei and Bao were doing chores while she was sitting in her garden again, doing flower arrangements.

"Hey, why haven't you told Zhou Baozhai yet," she asked, cutting the tip of one flower before putting it in the vase.

"Hm? Tell her about what?" he lazily said. He leaned on his hand while eating the roasted chestnut.

"That you are going back home," Xiaomei said cautiously.

"Home?" he said, sitting up straight.

"Don't you remember you told me you are leaving soon to go back to your hometown? Wasn't it close to the mountains? If I remember correctly?" Xiaomei said, insisting that he had told her even though he didn't.

"Is that so," he said, narrowing his eyes. He was sure he didn't tell her anything. He silently looked at her to find her not showing any nervousness as if she was very certain he had told her. He then leaned on his hand again before saying, "Oh, thanks for the reminder. I will tell her."

Xiaomei had tried her best to keep calm and not to show any slip-ups for him to see right through her lie. She endured the cold chill going down her spine as he was staring at her. She tried to ignore his gaze and continued to snip the flower's ends before putting them in the vase. "Your welcome," she said composed.

He smiled, seeing how she was trying to ignore his gaze. He was great at obtaining information since he had men in the background. However, he didn't understand how she got her information, like his name and his "supposedly" hometown. He already had his men do a background check on her, but they didn't find anything. He found it interesting and continued to crack open some roasted chestnuts and ate them. He then signaled with his hand to his men, who were hiding in the shadow as they quickly vanished, and he went back to stare at Xiaomei.

Xiaomei was relieved that he seemed to let it go. She needed the story to continue moving. She finished flower arranging before getting up. "Mister Wei, since you have things to go. Let me escort you out," she said, picking up the vase.

"Alright," he said, not being his usual stubborn self. He got up and added, "But there's no you for you to escort me out. I can go by myself." He jumped over the wall.

"Can you at least use the front door," she said. He turned his head back and smiled, "What's the fun in that," leaving without a trace.

She took a deep sigh once she saw that he was gone. She finally relaxed her expression and shoulders. She knew she pushed the story again, but at least it was going. She didn't want to stay here forever and keep on waiting for the story.