Rescued

We wake up in the morning with the wind completely still and the only sound comes from our feet. The sun lights up the scene and I see the disaster. We wonder around, not even sure where we are heading. We hope to find food, clean water or someone but nothing. We head down a trail filled with rubble and just look around.

"So. . ." Jordan starts but doesn't finish.

"Yeah." I say. We stay quiet. What other thing is there to talk about in a situation like this.

"Should we take a break?" I suggest. Jordan and Johann nod and we sit down on top of fallen trees.

"Food." I hear Johann say under his breathe as he rubs his stomach. I put my arm around his shoulders and rub his head.

"I know. I'm hungry too. We'll find something when we are found, okay?" Johann nods.

"Well, lets go. We won't be rescued if we are sitting here like statues." Jordan says. I help Johann off the fallen tree and limp over to Jordan. We walk miles and miles, taking turns on carrying Johann. I know his doing his best on trying not to cry, I see behind his eyes the tears he holds back. For a 5 year old boy, his pretty smart to know that if he cries it'll become harder for us to carry on. We take our third breake of the day and sit on fallen trees again. Our tongues are dry and are muscles ache.

"I give up." Jordan says as he drops to the floor. "I'm too tired, thirsty, hungry, dirty, hurt!"

"So are we." I say as I point to Johann. "At least you don't have a broken foot. If I can go on, and so can Johann, so can you." Jordan nods and wipes away a tear. The thirst in my mouth takes over and my stomach growls, my head spins and I fall to the ground. My foot bursts into pain and I slide my hand to clutch it.

"Casey, are you okay?" I hear Jordan ask as he hurries up to me. I nod but try and stay completely still to stop the dizziness. I hear the rumbling of a car motor approach is and see Jordan stand up.

"HEY! OVER HERE!" I hear Jordan shout along with Johann. I see the car approach us and Jordan hurries over to me and helps me up my feet.

"You kids alright?" A man asks.

"Yeah, sort of." I hear Jordan say.

"We need to get them to hospital, now." A woman says. I see as a man carry Johann up the pick up truck. The woman and Jordan help me up and then Jordan lies me down.

"We're saved." I hear Jordan say to me. The woman closes the trunk of the pick up truck where we are and they car starts on. I manage a grin to Jordan and close my eyes as the car sways through the rumble. I close my eyes to block the sun and the dizziness. I feel Johann's hand on my shoulder and can tell he feels safe. It takes a couple of minutes for when I feel the car come to a complete halt. I open my eyes and see the same man taken Johann and Jordan helping me sit up. I slide out of the back of the pick up truck and let the nurse help me into a wheel chair. My foot burns with pain and then I see the hospital. Bunch of tents fill with wounded people and kids. We make our way down the road and into a big tent with mattresses on the floor. The nurse lays me down in a blue mattress and then the man and her settle Johann in a seat where a couple of doctors start checking him. They send a few nurses over to me and Jordan and we are checked from top to bottom as we eat crackers and drink water. My foot is put into a cast and then I'm lied down with a blanket. The nurses inject me with medicines and cream. An hour later Johann is fast asleep in a comfy bed and I lie down, looking up at the tents ceiling, not even carrying that I'm in a room filled with strange wounded people. Jordan sits in the floor next to me and doesn't takes his eyes away.

"You don't have to stay." I say. "Go look for your family."

"I already asked. Their not here." Jordan says sadly.

"And mine?" I ask. Jordan shakes his head slowly and then looks at my eyes.

"But I know they're okay." I nod. We stay in silent as the other people here are fast asleep as also.

"Go help people, Jordan." I say. "You're good at it."

"I can't leave you alone like this." He says.

"I'll be okay." I say. Jordan takes my hands and gives it a small squeeze as I manage a grin for him until he walks away. I look at Johann that lies on the bed next to me, fast asleep. I reach my hand over to him and put it in his cheek. Dry tear marks are marked all over his face and his wounds seem to be in great care. I pull my hand away and let the medicine take over and bring me to a deep sleep.